Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #1691 
andrideaway

my bettas been in his new tank for 4 days now, what is the normal amount of time they chill in the leaves? he doesnt swin around often and isnt eating much yet, he stays in the same place most of the time..
andrideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #1692 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrideaway View Post
my bettas been in his new tank for 4 days now, what is the normal amount of time they chill in the leaves? he doesnt swin around often and isnt eating much yet, he stays in the same place most of the time..
He could still be getting used to the tank and likes the hiding spot. What is the temp in your tank? Is it heated?

Also bettas can go without eating for a week without worry.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #1693 
PewPewPew

Bahamut, i dont recommend you doing that.... Instead, sift up the water and use a net to get the poops out. A good bit of the bacteria in a tank lives in your gravel. Yes, in the filter, too, but eh.. You can change the water** all you want, but when you begin to mess where the bacteria LIVE, they will die.

I suggest a siphon! It makes life so easy.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #1694 
masshiimarro

ahh... do any of your fish get scared of new things and sorta just,, clamp up? i recently got a new filter and put into one side of my divided tank, and the one on the opposite side started to clamp up a bit. hes not always clamping, but ive caught him in that position quite a few times..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #1695 
Jessyka

I have a 10g partitioned tank with two bettas in it. The filter is on one side and it's too strong. Can I rig it up to slow the current (I've read about the plastic bottle thing on the waterfall and the sponges on the input. I don't understand the sponges.) or should I get two filters, one on each side? 5g on side and 5g on the other?
Jessyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #1696 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Bahamut, i dont recommend you doing that.... Instead, sift up the water and use a net to get the poops out. A good bit of the bacteria in a tank lives in your gravel. Yes, in the filter, too, but eh.. You can change the water** all you want, but when you begin to mess where the bacteria LIVE, they will die.

I suggest a siphon! It makes life so easy.
A gravel vac lightly tosses the gravel around right? That's what I was planning on doing with a chopstick or something XD *SHOT*.

My current siphon sucks up everything, including things I don't wan't it to mess with...I would get a regular vac but they're the size of my face T__T...

Most of it is buried...gotta find a way to unearth it before sucking it up
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #1697 
nel3

how fast can betta's change colour? mines been nearly a month in my possesion. its a normal blue vt but its starting to show on the red caudal tail, pelvic fin and just above the pelvic fin. still blue on the dorsal finthe rest remains blue.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1698 
bahamut285

@Nel: I think there is a thread on here somewhere in which somebody took photos of colour changes in their betta... I believe there are reported cases of very rapid and sudden changes to gradual but obvious changes.

I kinda want a cool colour morphing betta XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #1699 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@Nel: I think there is a thread on here somewhere in which somebody took photos of colour changes in their betta... I believe there are reported cases of very rapid and sudden changes to gradual but obvious changes.

I kinda want a cool colour morphing betta XD
ty, looks like mines going to take his sweet time doing so.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #1700 
Wyvern

nel - Ive had my one boy for almost 3 months now. He started out blue/black body with snow white fins. He is now darkblue body with lightblue fins, which also have a light green/turquoise tint as well as black freckles!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote