Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #1811 
Lion Mom
Member
 
Lion Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Really? That's not what my (canadian) transshipper or breeder from Thailand said @.@

The guy in Thailand said to "pay me for the fish and everything else is for your transshipper"
OK - since I never had a fish imported (WAY too expensive for my budget ), what do I know?

Whenever I look at the beautiful fish the imports are, though, I could have sworn that's what most of them have in their listing. Shrug....
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #1812 
Tisia
Member
 
Tisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington state
maybe he just included his shipping in the price of the fish?
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #1813 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@nel3: I know I would do it, 1 gallon is not large enough to cycle safely and is generally not stable. You don't HAVE to soak them in hot water, but when I do 100% water changes I rinse the gravel.
thank you, bahamut, its as i thought. i do rinse the gravel but lately ive let it soak for a bit before pouring it into a metal strainer to rinse it. sems to me that doing that and disturbing the gravel while soaking makes it easier to rinse the gravel cleaner.
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #1814 
Lion Mom
Member
 
Lion Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
maybe he just included his shipping in the price of the fish?
That could be.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #1815 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
i have a question to those that use IAL for the bettas. how much difference in PH levles are there between the conditioned tap water and the IAL (alone or conditioned)?
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #1816 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
It depends on your tap water! Tap water's pH can be different depending on where you are...but adding in IAL, regardless, will lower the pH of the water. The more IAL, the lower the pH.

If your pH from JUST the tap is high, the effects of the IAL will be reduced- so you will need to add in a bit more to receive the same effects as you would find in lower pH water.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #1817 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It depends on your tap water! Tap water's pH can be different depending on where you are...but adding in IAL, regardless, will lower the pH of the water. The more IAL, the lower the pH.

If your pH from JUST the tap is high, the effects of the IAL will be reduced- so you will need to add in a bit more to receive the same effects as you would find in lower pH water.
ty pew pew. i was thinking of getting it in case the water from thaoland is too far off from the water locally in ph levels (7.6 with nutrafin ph test kit here).
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #1818 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
If you acclimate correctly, it wont be a big issue :) Itll help, though- and not only to keep it similar, but IAL is great to add in for medicinal/preventative purposes as well.

When you get the fish, slowly introduce to light (darkened room, open the box slightly more every 5 minutes in the darker room) until the box is open, acclimate in that same darkened room for NO less than 20-30 minutes-- about 2tbsps of new water at least into the baggie every 5 minutes or so...even if the water overflows in the bag before that time, just gently drain some and keep adding more in. 30minutes + is best :) Keep him in a dark place for a day or two, offer food the next day but only if he seems up to it.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #1819 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
If you acclimate correctly, it wont be a big issue :) Itll help, though- and not only to keep it similar, but IAL is great to add in for medicinal/preventative purposes as well.

When you get the fish, slowly introduce to light (darkened room, open the box slightly more every 5 minutes in the darker room) until the box is open, acclimate in that same darkened room for NO less than 20-30 minutes-- about 2tbsps of new water at least into the baggie every 5 minutes or so...even if the water overflows in the bag before that time, just gently drain some and keep adding more in. 30minutes + is best :) Keep him in a dark place for a day or two, offer food the next day but only if he seems up to it.
thank you, if i plan to get them it'll be only to get it aclimated for a few days to wean it off the native water.

thank you for telling me the details on introducing the new fish to its home. though i do have some questions,. once the box is fully open can i take the bag fully out? how long on average does it take thefish to regain its colours if they're dulled on arrival? id presume its after 30+ minutes of water acclimation it will be okay to put him in the tank without a bag. does floating the bag in the filled tank when im getting him acclimated to the water do anything useful?
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #1820 
Neil D
Member
 
Neil D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hiding from The Mods
Hey congrats Nel3, you said "him" (but you also said "it") but it's a start! Hahaha lol
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question CodeRed Betta Fish Care 10 07-30-2009 02:23 PM
Quick question. IonBaller07 Betta Fish Care 21 06-21-2009 04:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.