Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #1961 
CitrusKnight

ANOTHER QUESTION: So after work I'm probably going to go to my friends house and we're going to go to a pet store to buy some fish (probably petco since I'm close to getting a 5 dollar off discount). Anyone, it turns out I'll probably sleepover at her house tonight, so I'm going to need somewhere to put my betta fish until I go home tomorrow. (Probably not the best of ideas, but it's all I can do right now)
Is there anything cheap I can buy while at the petstore today that can temporarily house my betta fish?
CitrusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #1962 
Shimizoki

You could keep her in the cup you bought her in if its just one night... take the fish out and put it in a regular drinking glass and wash out the cup with a lid you bought it in. Then return the fish to its old clean cup. That would be the cheapest way to keep your fish for 1 night until you can get it home.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #1963 
Neil D

Or just leave her/him in the cup?

And shimizoki, on the forum we refer to our bettas as "him" or "her". They DO have a gender. Justin Beiber is an "it".
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #1964 
roarsirroar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It depends on the plant. Sometimes, my plants attach within only a few weeks.

Some of my anubias havent even in months.

While you wait, use either a dark colored thread or fishing line to tie it down.
okay...cause it seems like my anubias is trying to avoid the ornament :p
do the roots pull themselves toward the fake driftwood and attach? mine seem to be growing outward and away
roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #1965 
Shimizoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Or just leave her/him in the cup?

And shimizoki, on the forum we refer to our bettas as "him" or "her". They DO have a gender. Justin Beiber is an "it".
yes, but a future betta is of an unknown gender, therefore I can't possibly refer to it as him or her and be justified in doing so. If it was specified that a male or female was going to be picked up then I would have spoken differently.
The fact that the OP used the term "my betta" several times implies that they are unsure as to the gender as well. To top it all off it is a pronoun, and it is grammatically justified to use it in this situation.

Definition of IT

Last edited by Shimizoki; 07-15-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #1966 
Alienchick017

Is it safe for my betta to sleep touching the tank heater?
I figure he isn't getting hot enough to hurt him or he wouldn't do it but I just wanted to make sure.
Alienchick017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #1967 
masshiimarro

well.. i think bettas can distinguish whether its too hot for them or not to be next to a heater. i mean, they do know better... :)

but anyways, does anyone know a safe way to remove gravel with snails in it? by saying safe i mean as in safe for the snails in it. i have ramshorn snails in my gravel, and id hate to kill them just becuase i changed my gravel..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #1968 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
yes, but a future betta is of an unknown gender, therefore I can't possibly refer to it as him or her and be justified in doing so. If it was specified that a male or female was going to be picked up then I would have spoken differently.
The fact that the OP used the term "my betta" several times implies that they are unsure as to the gender as well. To top it all off it is a pronoun, and it is grammatically justified to use it in this situation.

Definition of IT
I suppose, but you could say "him/her" or "betta". The link doesn't work. (you didnt laught at all at my Justin Beiber joke?)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #1969 
Shimizoki

Sorry about the definition link... I screwed up somewhere.
him/her and betta are both longer than it, that's why I chose not to use them.

*incoming potential flame fuel*
Until the fish is brought home and a bond is formed... to me its just a fish. I want to separate myself and not identify with it until I know it will survive. Using a term like "it" helps me to keep that distance. This is done to protect myself.

I've heard the Beiber joke so many times its rather old now... sorry.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #1970 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienchick017 View Post
Is it safe for my betta to sleep touching the tank heater?
I figure he isn't getting hot enough to hurt him or he wouldn't do it but I just wanted to make sure.
My betta's sleep on top of the heater/near the heater almost all the time. They sleep on top because it's somewhere for them to "sit" near the surface.

IMO it's fine. Do you have a thermometer in the tank? It should be as far away from the heater as possible to give accurate reading of the water temperature instead of assuming your heater is doing a good job XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote