Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #2011 
VegaFrankieTwee

Every now and again my betta will have splits in its tail fin. Most heal realitively quickly but one has left a small hole behind. I have inspected the scenery in the tank thouroughly and shaved off all sharp areas. Anybody have any ideas?
My female has had this problem even before I put new fish in so I know its not caused by them. Also its been happening less since I got tank mates for her.

Last edited by VegaFrankieTwee; 07-28-2011 at 12:08 PM.
VegaFrankieTwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #2012 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmagician View Post
It's called Start Right, and the brand is Jungle. I got it at Walmart. It has aloe, and it says it promotes healing of wounds and infections and "aids in replacing the natural mucous slime coating on the skin and fins..."

I threw in an extra water change yesterday and took out the one slightly rough plant. I'll be sure to keep a close eye on him. Hopefully it won't get any worse...

And just for the record, I have a thread with pictures here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76153
I used to have start right. Aloe is more of a gimmick, as for what I believe and a number of other members think.. It really doesnt do that much.

It's not going to heal your fish, though. But all-in-all its a fair conditioner and its made my a good company. Jungle has fantastic medicines at good prices, the only issue is that they really do work-- theyre very strong! :)

Your fish actually looks fine in my eyes.. I cant really tell where the issue is, even. I would say, considering that, just to have an extra water change for a few weeks and he'll be put right. If it gets way worse, then its an injury, rot or biting.

Btw, biting looks like little U shapes along the fins. You can see it on one of my fish's anal fin (he had it everywhere though), he was neurotic and chased it around all the time.
Name:  2011-01-21 11.45.09.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  43.0 KB

This is from rot (advanced rot) on a healthy fish.. It ate away huge portions of fin. It doesnt always have to turn brown, but when you encounter rot, you can usually tell.

Good luck :<
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #2013 
Neil D

My DeT betta Josh is a tail biter-_-
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #2014 
nel3

i found a column ruins ornament for $9. its what i like but 2 of the holes are only half an inch. its enough for the betta to pass but its a tight fit? ATM i didnt get it for that reason. is it ok or should i go on the side of caution and avoid it?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #2015 
Neil D

Sand it, or else I would avoid it.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #2016 
nel3

thank you, i think i'll avoid it. sanding down would remove the esthetic appearance byt having 1/2 of the column's width missing. i think ill avoid the trex head also the teeth are sharp on the back edges in addition to the general surface.

the nile crocodile looks promising its all smooth but the only part that fits my thumb is the back of the head and the openin of the mouth. any part halfway and closer to the jaw joint cant get a thumb thru. this is the 3 long model im talkint about.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-24546

i got the jaguar mask ornament for my 1gal already its only the 2.5g. i did find some ruin buildings but they're more middle age that ancient ruins. im getting a bit annoyed. found the perfect ornament for $25 but its literally 1/2 inch too long for my 2.5g (even diagonally). is it possible to cut it into 2 peices without looking awkward/ugly?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/roman...ruinswall.aspx

arm im looking at the stock pet smart may have in stock for something similar.

Last edited by nel3; 07-28-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #2017 
nel3

sorry for the double post but i think i found a solution. i dont like this 20 minute grace period to edit posts much but notging much i can do aside from sending a PM.

tank dimensions again are 10.5 inches long 8.5 inchs high and 5->6 inches front to back. i stick the temple ruins in the center of the tank which coincides with the backdrop (columns near the corners of pic) then i just plant my anacharis around the temple. dont tknow if it will be too crowded or nice like that. the temple ruin is 8.5inches high 5' front to back 4 1/2 width. might add a crocodiel head if its safe beside the temple. the heater will probably have to go somewhere in the corner opposite to my thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Environ...901405&sr=8-26

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by nel3; 07-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #2018 
Shimizoki

I know that it is generally advised to fast your fish one day a week... but what if the bettas are still small and growing? should they be fasted or loaded with food to help them grow?
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2019 
Neil D

You don't have to fast. Feed young guys normally, or with bloodworms (frozen) for protein.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #2020 
bettaloverforever16

How often do you gave to clean a 1.5 gallon tank?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote