Actually, Im not sure. I think white is easier to rinse off, maybe. :O
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #2093 
Lion Mom

Personally, I would only use white.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #2094 
baristabee

I hate to make a new thread since I do not need an answer ASAP, so here we go.

I plan on buying this 5 Gallon tank. I assume tanks this large need to be cycled, at the very least for my sanity so I don't have to do massive water changes often. I'm in no crazy hurry to get a fish, so I don't mind how long this takes. I plan on doing the "feed" method with betta food, just because it seems the most convenient for me.

Since I am doing a fishless method, does this mean I don't have to do any water changes while cycling? I just vacuum up the gravel to get all the food once it's cycled?

What percentage of water change should I do once a week in a cycled 5 gallon?

(I'm not completely new to bettas, I owned 2 in college that lived about 4 years, but they were in 2.5 gallons so I did a lot of water changes.)

Last edited by baristabee; 08-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
baristabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #2095 
JKfish

I have to caution you with the 'feeding' method. The food, if left in too long, will grow moldy and it can spread to the gravel, decor, etc and be hard to get rid of (Trust me O_O ).What I did was get a small ziplock back, poke holes in it with a toothpick, add the food, and sink. It made removal easy(I changed the bags once every two days) before things get moldy.

But, no, you don't need to do any water changes while cycling. Once it is cycled, if you have one betta and nothing else, a 50% water change weekly will be fine ^-^
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #2096 
baristabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I have to caution you with the 'feeding' method. The food, if left in too long, will grow moldy and it can spread to the gravel, decor, etc and be hard to get rid of (Trust me O_O ).What I did was get a small ziplock back, poke holes in it with a toothpick, add the food, and sink. It made removal easy(I changed the bags once every two days) before things get moldy.

But, no, you don't need to do any water changes while cycling. Once it is cycled, if you have one betta and nothing else, a 50% water change weekly will be fine ^-^
I appreciate the warning! I probably wouldn't have even thought about that.

Also to clarify my question, once cycling is complete, there's no need for a water change BEFORE I add the fish, correct? Only after?

This seems obvious but it's better to ask!

If I can track down liquid ammonia I might try that.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #2097 
JKfish

No problem :) Good luck with your cycle!
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #2098 
PewPewPew

They sell liquid ammonia both in hardware stores as well as in some chain pet stores :)

If and when cycled (strongly enough, look for at least 10ppm NitrAte), I would do a slight clean up on the bottom. Dont go over board, though. If you clean the gravel too much, too often, you can ruin a young cycle. While the cycle is "young", I usually monitor the tank and figure out a schedule, rather than just do the changes blindly. I ended up doing 20-30% each week (water only every other week) and after a good time, I only need like 10% a week. I have lots of plants, so I can get away with only topping the water off from evaporation and can go 2 weeks and still have zero ammonia, nitrites and trace nitrates >.<!

I have that tank you're looking at. The one thing I HATE about that tank is that filter. Its SO STRONG. I baffle the living dskjfhlaskdjfhaksljd out of it and its still too strong. I even jam up the intake, which ripped off part of my fish's fins >:/

Good tank otherwise.

Crappy picture ><
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #2099 
baristabee

I was drawn to the tank by the price, is it built in a way that the filter could be replaced?

I know my Petsmart has miniBows, idk about 5 gallon. They're most likely plastic though. Which I suppose isn't the worst thing.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #2100 
PewPewPew

Acrylic tanks are quite good, look good, are lighter and unfortunately.. are way more expensive :(

Yes, the filter is HOB and can easily be replaced by any filter of the same size or less. Its got a good chance of being a marineland filter (they have two types it can be), which is a great brand, but too strong for a betta.

They have 5 gallons without filters but with lids in some stores. If youre not liking the filter, I would get the bare 5 and find a filter after, it would be a little cheaper.

I think minibows are 2.5 gallons.

I have a marineland 5 gallon hex and I really like it. Its filter is great for cycling and only needs a simple baffle. All filters more or less do, save sponge filters.