Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #2111 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nel, it could be that Nel (that doesn't sound wierd at all, now does it? O_o .... XD ) is stressed? Maybe adding a bit of that IAL to your qt tank will help. And Nelliel is beautiful~
thank, you, thats a good idea. ive left him in decaf green, he didnt do too well. i have yet to try IAL, will do in 2 days for the (1 gal and QT) once he gets a small chance to heal from today. took another few pcs of nelliel, will upload a bit later plus another vid of him in the shipping bag.
nelliel is forest green with flash pics will be up within 2hrs (supper time).

Last edited by nel3; 08-03-2011 at 08:54 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #2112 
baristabee

This is probably a SUPER silly question, but I'd rather ask silly questions than have something happen because I never said anything. :P

I set up my 5 gallon, fishless, set up with Prime to dechlorinate/etc, filter is running. I couldn't track down any pure ammonia today, so I'll probably look tomorrow. I assume my tank is fine to run the filter and hang out until I find ammonia? No fish no nothing, I can't see what would happen, but you never know.

Also, I couldn't find a good hidey decoration at Petco today, just plants and rocks. I can add (rinsed) decorations at any point during the cycle, I assume? I don't know if it's okay to be sticking my (clean) hand in there, I always did with older tanks but I probably made a lot of mistakes with older tanks!
baristabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #2113 
Neil D

Fine to run the filter. For the decor, as long as it's not live plants it's fine. For live plants ask someone else, as I have NO idea. But for any normal decor is fine. Good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #2114 
JKfish

:) Your filter should be fine, and so should sticking in any clean decor with your clean hands. Adding live plants (fully aquatic) is fine too, it'll give them a chance to grow a bit (the ammonia is good for them), though it might slow down your cycle by a wee bit.

Nel, the IAL will also help with healing, so if you have extra you could even stick it in now. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #2115 
nel3

here are the pics while the vids upload. looks like some tail biting on the lower doubletail. his pectoral is also a bit weird, looks like its curled down on the top 10% when flared. could be genetic that it curls at the top. he's territorial and looks like the baffled filter doesnt bother him.
the pic i based the purchase on
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...asdt1308397160
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPpolwiTL0

pic with flash and no photoshop

heres photos on the bottom caudal and the curled pectoral

Last edited by nel3; 08-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #2116 
nel3

sorry for the double post, i have a feeling he might be biting his tail a bit more. he had some fin damage (3-4mm) from shipping but its looking a bit deeper (1mm if anything), i'll monitor it today.

theres a few reasons why it could be. he was shipped 2 days ago, he's been in the 2,5g with ial for 12 hours. his parameter were 8ppm, 7.0ph during shipping, 3 hours took it down to 7.6ph and much lower ammonia (1ppm before i put him in the 2.5). the ial tea bag was in for a few hours to drop the PH in 2.5g from 7.6->7.2. he's quite active and ive fed him frozen BWs. should i put him in saltwater if it gets worse or should i wait it out BC hes new in the 2.5g? temperature in the 2.5 is 27 celcius.

Last edited by nel3; 08-04-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #2117 
Lion Mom

Nel, can't give you any advise - sorry! I'm sure OFL or someone else with a ton of experience will be along shortly to help you out.

Just wanted to tell you, though - he is a STUNNER and CONGRATS!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #2118 
BETTA DET

Does anyones fish attack the surface of the water because of his reflection?
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #2119 
PewPewPew

LOL DET. Thats really funny.

And nel, I would let him relax for the time. The IAL will help and so will the yummy food and clean water. If his fins begin to grow fuzzy, bleed or get worse, then I would add it.

And omg omg, 8ppm ammonia?!?!?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #2120 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTA DET View Post
Does anyones fish attack the surface of the water because of his reflection?
i think he may be doing some acrobatics to jump over anacharis. the 3 corners where there are stalks closer to the water seem to be the jumping spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Nel, can't give you any advise - sorry! I'm sure OFL or someone else with a ton of experience will be along shortly to help you out.

Just wanted to tell you, though - he is a STUNNER and CONGRATS!!!!
thank you lion mom, i think hes also part dragonscale, seen some of his cousins are dragons and mine has a shiny top coat of turquiose thats pale atm. think he might end up even more of a dragon later. embettafarms is selling some green dragons also but mine may be from the spawn from before his current green dragons. i think he put the male in 2 consecutive spawns. thats just my theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
LOL DET. Thats really funny.

And nel, I would let him relax for the time. The IAL will help and so will the yummy food and clean water. If his fins begin to grow fuzzy, bleed or get worse, then I would add it.

And omg omg, 8ppm ammonia?!?!?
thank you Pew3 .looks like his tailbiting is 4-5mm deep and 4-5mm gap from complete. cant get anymore precise, he just keeps on swimming. he's acting like an orca most of the times by letting the pectoral droop. its probably because it might be a bit heavy by nature. his pectoral did scare me for a bit, some section is transparent but intact so i guess its ok. got a fin rot scare there for a bit. got another vid to post on him, just need to upload 2 utube.

i swear i almost mistook the ammonia test for a ph test when i did the first test. it scared me quite well but it was good as i kept changing the water (in shipping bag) for 2.5hours until it dropped to 1ppm before putting him in the 2.5g

what would be the best way to reintroduce nel back into the 1gallon(7inches wide) from the QT (8 inches wide)? atm hes in IAL for water coloring with prime and stress coat in the QT. should i fill the tank partially and how much room should items take space for hiding. i got a silk plant, a DIY plant and a jaguar face cave.

Last edited by nel3; 08-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.