Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #2131 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Try to keep him distracted, Nel. Objects in front of his tank.
thank you, ive put a ping pong ball in, he hasnt really taken a liking to attacking it but it probably would distract him once in a while. i tossed in a hollow rubber bullet ie cheap spring/air guns at dollar store. he seems to like it for now.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #2132 
Renna

A few quick questions:

1) I got my betta a new tank and switched him over. It's 3 gallons with a heater that I haven't had to use yet. Got the new tank because I noticed his temp. dropped to like 68 degrees during the night last night and didn't come back up until about 1PM today. I've tried offereing him a pellet but he won't take it. He does seem to be more active though and he's kind of napping on a leaf that's close to the top right now. Anyway, how long will it take him to de-stress and start eating again?

2) The inside of said new tank is reflective (didn't notice till after I saw his reflection on the side). He still has plenty of places to hide and I have noticed he's flaring up a bit more when he approaches the sides of the tank. Will the reflections stress him out further?

3) I have two thermometers in the tank right now, one is reading at 78 (just a regular thermometer that you stick to the side of the tank, located in the front) and the other reads at 84 (digital thermometer that sits at the back). What the heck is up with the difference in temperature reading and which one do I go by?

4) I have no idea what to name the poor guy, he's a deep blue/purple bodied crowntail with fins that gradually go into red with blue tips. Right now he's "Fishy". Any suggestions?
Renna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #2133 
Shimizoki

1) Not sure of the exact amount of time... however they CAN go up to 2 weeks without feeding, if he doesnt start eating after a week, then I would start worrying about him.

2) Yes, they will stress him a bit. Try to cover the outside of the tank, sometimes that helps with reflections.

3) The stick on one is crap, they are never correct, I would go with the digital

4) Pics help people naming the guy... I always get a word that describes him and translate it to another language if I need some ideas.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #2134 
JKfish

Renna, sometimes tanks become reflective when they are in dim areas of a room and there is a tank light (or just a regular light) directly over the tank. If you move the tank to a better lit area of the room, then turning on a tank light (if you have one) will no longer cause the sides to become reflective.

As for the tank temperature, what sort of heater are you using? I personally trust the stick ones better than digital, though that is just me. What you can do is (if you have one) get a meat thermometer and stick hold in the tank for about a minute. It should get a more accurate reading of the tank temperature and help you figure out which one is wrong.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2135 
Renna

@ Shimizoki and JKfish: thank you both.

Unfortunately there isn't really a brighter part of the room but I will try covering the sides and see what happens.

Right now I'm not using a heater as both thermometers are saying 80 (stick on) and 85 (digital). I'm going to hunt around and see if I can find a meat thermometer and see what it says.

I guess with the eating, I'll just have to offer and be patient.

Thank you both for the advice. :)

Oh and I figured out a name. He is now called Slurpee.
Renna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #2136 
baristabee

It seems my ACE Hardware is sold out of ammonia, they'll have some more in on Wednesday. So for now I guess I'll just leave my filter plugged in to run until then, doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

However, the instructions on the blue fuzzy filter pad (whatever it's ACTUALLY called, lol) said to change it every few weeks. Assuming my cycle is done in about 2 weeks, will I have to change that pad before I put the fish in?

They had some really pretty bettas at Petsmart today, and they looked pretty healthy. :( Can't get one yet, though, but I got some cool roman column decorations to put in there for now.
baristabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #2137 
Neil D

Never change the filter pad, for at least 6-7 months after cycling, by then enough BB will be in the gravel etc so the tank won't recycle. Swish it out in old tank water every few weeks instead
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #2138 
JKfish

I have a very quick question.... will epsom salt and slight traces of garlic juice kill snails? I want to add some epsom salt to the main tank because Panache has suddenly started pooping stringey clearish poop >.< right after I introduced him to the tank.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #2139 
PewPewPew

If you wanna kill snails, use copper-based meds ;) Remove the fish, unless you plan to treat with said type of meds... And then nuke that tank with it.

Malachite green also does the job, aka, ich meds.

>:D I did that and wham. Not a single snail. There were becoming pesky.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #2140 
Neil D

I think he/she doesn't wanna kill the snail, ppp.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote