Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #2151 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
@hazel, a gravel cleaner is the same as a siphon, called a gravel siphon. Use one rated for 10 gallon tanks. Filters generally come with one cartridge, if I remember.
Ahhh, so if I use an aquarium air tube thingy (Elite silicone airline tubing) and Oldfishlady's siphon tutorial, I'll be set! And that's good to know, I was trying to figure out if I needed to buy a filter cartridge to put in the filter once I bought it. Thanks Neil!
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #2152 
Lion Mom

Frozen bloodworms (or any other frozen foods) should be stored in the freezer. :)

Do your best to use them up within 3 - 4 months.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #2153 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
You could get a 2gallon tank and make your own divider? Then put it so that it would be only .5 g. Or buy a rubbermaid container From walmart.
thank you, i'll try walmart first. i really want the fish in atleast a gallon minimum. ive had many issues with the stressed fish. hell, he even disliked the 1gal half full and ive crowded it a tiny bit for hiding spaces. if he doesnt get too stressed out with any extra inaccesible water i'll look into a 2 gal. atm i live at home for another month then i can toss out the current tank limit. after a month i'll be in a slightly bigger area where i can put an extra tank. my mom wont allow any aquariums outside my room . i doubt she'll make a fuss about a container for heating purposes.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #2154 
JKfish

shimizoki: that is a male halfmoon plakat. :) Dragon scales is a coloration, and with bettas, there is no true difference in coloration between the two genders. You can tell he is a male because he has long thick ventral fins, and if you get him to flare, you'll notice he'll flare sideways to whatever he's flaring at in order to look larger. Females flare head on.

Neil, yes, I know that XD. I started out with two, and for a while had a pop explosion where they were everywhere... then the algae from the sides were eaten up and all but those 4 died.

McLizardMan: well, it's pretty important. While they won't die if they don't have a varied diet, having variety is key to health. Imagine if you ate the same meal every single day breakfast lunch and dinner. You wouldn't be getting all the different vitamins and minerals your body needs. But, anyways, you can get frozen bloodworms at all local pet stores. Petsmart sells theirs in a little clear freezer by the fish area.

Nel: I would go with a rubbermaid tubberware for the moment like Neil suggessted. I know a 4 gallon sterlite bin is 4 dollars at target, so I'm assuming you could find the proper sized sterlite cheap.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #2155 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
shimizoki: that is a male halfmoon plakat. :) Dragon scales is a coloration, and with bettas, there is no true difference in coloration between the two genders. You can tell he is a male because he has long thick ventral fins, and if you get him to flare, you'll notice he'll flare sideways to whatever he's flaring at in order to look larger. Females flare head on.

Neil, yes, I know that XD. I started out with two, and for a while had a pop explosion where they were everywhere... then the algae from the sides were eaten up and all but those 4 died.

McLizardMan: well, it's pretty important. While they won't die if they don't have a varied diet, having variety is key to health. Imagine if you ate the same meal every single day breakfast lunch and dinner. You wouldn't be getting all the different vitamins and minerals your body needs. But, anyways, you can get frozen bloodworms at all local pet stores. Petsmart sells theirs in a little clear freezer by the fish area.

Nel: I would go with a rubbermaid tubberware for the moment like Neil suggessted. I know a 4 gallon sterlite bin is 4 dollars at target, so I'm assuming you could find the proper sized sterlite cheap.
i found one in the house, ive filled it halfway with water so far. i'll have to introduce the tank tomorrow to the container, i wake up early to go for work :(. unfortunately i cant be around to monitor Nel if i do the test tonight. the heater will fit if i put it on a 35 degree angle on the wall. i think i'll diplace enough to cover 3/4 of the QT's heigth if i float the QT. would it be worth a shot to skip floating it and let him roam free? the 1gal has more room vertically than laterally then the QT

Last edited by nel3; 08-07-2011 at 07:59 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #2156 
PiscisAmor

What can I do to curb tailbiting?
PiscisAmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #2157 
Neil D

Distract them. Objects in front Of the tank. Other than that...not much...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #2158 
Shimizoki

@JKFish - Thanks, I already knew about how dragons is a color... it was just the presence of what looked like an eggspot that threw me for a loop.

Also about the flaring head on vs sideways thing... I put both my males next to each other and they flared facing each other... I put 2 females together... they did the same thing. Male and female did the same as well. I don't know if I believe the flaring thing.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #2159 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
if you get him to flare, you'll notice he'll flare sideways to whatever he's flaring at in order to look larger. Females flare head on.
That's not necessarily true. Males will flare head on.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #2160 
Neil D

Maybe she means more likely to flare sideways, my guy max does it a lot, but Josh generally goes straight ahead, THEN turns
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote