Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #2201 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Okay, thanks! :)
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #2202 
nel3

got a picture of my neighbors betta, 2 years old ( almost .5inch wide, and 2 3/4 long with fins, no water conditioner what so ever. only ever fed freeze dried blood worms (1 pinch a day). no heater either.

saw her change his water in the vase. turn on the water in the sink put on water to 22 celsius or so plugged the sink poured betta into it. took him in a clean yogurt container to wait. she rinsed the vase and flooded the sink. betta went back into the sink then to the container and finally into the vase. i guess it was aclimated to the water temp somewhat but not the quality. took only a minute to change the water. one of the bottom spiny fins (forgot name) is half gone, all fins curled and bitten to an extent. new biting or old is not easily told apart. the caudal wasnt in the best shape either.

i didnt bother to try to get her to take more care to deal with the fish, wont sway her either way.

on another note, does betta revive work for fungal, protozoan and bacterial diseases. the guy tha LPS said it'll help fin growth. not too sure but i got in case some diseases get to my fish and i dont have time to get to the LPS.

Last edited by nel3; 08-11-2011 at 09:09 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #2203 
BetterBetta

....I know what thats like, one of my close friends got a betta and I went to her house the other day. Two little bowls under a gallon, water changes once a week. One male and one female veiltale. No heaters, filters, but I was sort of surprised to see a bubblenest in a lethargic betta's tank. Her female was way too bloated... I didn't know what to say, she's quite touchy and she would probably accuse me of being a know it all. Plus, I didn't know how to tell her. Before I left, she told me "OH! Try this: Put shaved ice in their tanks, they love to eat it!" I thought, No, their tropical fish, that will be a dramatic temperature drop, could cause shock.... I didn't know what to say.

Anyways, question!: Will all males breed? My current halfmoon doesn't seem to fancy my female and I think I'm gonna get another male, because she's already all eggy.
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #2204 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBetta View Post
....I know what thats like, one of my close friends got a betta and I went to her house the other day. Two little bowls under a gallon, water changes once a week. One male and one female veiltale. No heaters, filters, but I was sort of surprised to see a bubblenest in a lethargic betta's tank. Her female was way too bloated... I didn't know what to say, she's quite touchy and she would probably accuse me of being a know it all. Plus, I didn't know how to tell her. Before I left, she told me "OH! Try this: Put shaved ice in their tanks, they love to eat it!" I thought, No, their tropical fish, that will be a dramatic temperature drop, could cause shock.... I didn't know what to say.

Anyways, question!: Will all males breed? My current halfmoon doesn't seem to fancy my female and I think I'm gonna get another male, because she's already all eggy.
atleast this one is taken care of half decently, gets water changes every 2 days. im surprised it didnt get bloated from all that extra food. probably the low temp kept his hunger down. i did mention a bit how i went about it but not sure if she hid her reaction much. either way i played it down as if it take too much care of details. i also did say that each betta was different in tolerances. she was surprised i fed it "so little" and encouraged me to overfeed mine. i poletely turned it down bc mine get bloated easily. i havent seen Nelliel bloated yet bc i only feed him the equivalrnt of 2-3x the size of his eye. apparently shes lost a few betta to the bathroom sink. im surprised stress and unconditioned water hasnt done him in.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #2205 
Neil D

So sad. Post those stories in the Rant Thread.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #2206 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
So sad. Post those stories in the Rant Thread.
sorry, i'll do that next time.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #2207 
Neil D

Haha I wasn't saying anything...I was thinking of the responses....lol
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #2208 
hmckin20

okay, quick Q:

i now have my sponge filter installed! so the little clear cylinder that covers the top doesnt go out of the water. is that good or bad?

also can i put fin rot medication in here with the filter?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #2209 
Neil D

If there is any carbon in the filter, then you have to remove it.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #2210 
hmckin20

i'm not sure if it dos or not. xD okay.

what about the clear cylinder?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote