Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #2321 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Alllllright, so, very loosely speaking, Epsom salt is for anything going wrong inside the betta, and Aquarium salt is for anything on the outside and around the betta. Thank you Bahamut!
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #2322 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
It is best to use a master testing kit (or at least get a ammonia tester) to keep check of your params. instead of blindly doing water changes...It helps to determine how often you should be doing water changes, every tank is different...
For me, that's the bottom line, right there.

My small (3/4') very active male delta lives in 1.8gal of water in a bare-bottom tank. I change 60plus percent of his water whenever it gets to .25ppm ammonia. That means I do a water change every day.....EVERY DAY!

My two full grown male VTs share 4 gallons and get a 50% change every four days whether they need it or not. Usually they don't need it, as they test less than .25ppm NH3.

Go figure. Hmmm...

I think maybe I'll start a thread with this question.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #2323 
JKfish

Hally, how much are you feeding your fish? I ask this because if you are accidently over feeding your fish, you will see ammonia levels get high pretty fast. In general, a 2 gallon-ish tank with one betta needs one to two 50% water changes and a 100% water change a week. 60% a day seems a bit much.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #2324 
dantetheripper

My betta seems to have formed a rivalry with my filter. He keeps flaring his fins at it and stays underneath the thing even though the current from the filter is pushing him away. He also refuses to eat anything even though he was eating fine a few days ago.

I recently added five ghost shrimp into the tank and my betta just ignores them but every time i try to feed him, he spits the pellets out and they sink to the bottom where the ghost shrimp would get them.

So two problems here: my betta keeps trying to fight with my filter and he won't eat. Help anyone?
dantetheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #2325 
Neil D

If the filter is black, he will see his reflection in it. This only applies if it is a HOB (hang on the back) filter. If it is, slip a piece of white material in-between the outside glass and filter.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #2326 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantetheripper View Post
My betta seems to have formed a rivalry with my filter. He keeps flaring his fins at it and stays underneath the thing even though the current from the filter is pushing him away. He also refuses to eat anything even though he was eating fine a few days ago.

I recently added five ghost shrimp into the tank and my betta just ignores them but every time i try to feed him, he spits the pellets out and they sink to the bottom where the ghost shrimp would get them.

So two problems here: my betta keeps trying to fight with my filter and he won't eat. Help anyone?
First off Bettas dislike it when there is a strong current they like still water, you need to baffle your filter or remove it completely if baffling it doesn't work. Here's a guide on how to baffle your filter: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Also try feeding him a variety of foods, try feeding him bloodworms and other foods, flakes is a downgrade so don't bother getting those. Or maybe fasting him for one or two days if he's being a picky boy.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #2327 
PewPewPew

Flakes are not a downgrade. They are not as easy to feed, but are a good idea if you wish to supplement in their diet.

Flakes typically (not goldfish, etc) have even more protein and nutrients than do pellets. Usually, the average pellet food is around 38(too little) to 43% protein, while most flakes are often 45-55%, much better.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #2328 
Foxell

I was wondering if young dalmatian bettas develop spots over time? I got an adorable little [what I think is a] orange dalmatian boy tonight. He looks to have only 2 small red spots on his fins. I'm not 100% sure if he's an orange dalmatian though. If he is, will he develop more spots as he gets older?
Foxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #2329 
Micho

Mine won't touch flakes. >: Even with a feeding ring they just sink to the bottom and the doesn't like them at all.

He's a picky eater, but anywho every Betta is different. :>
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #2330 
bahamut285

@Foxell: He's probably just a little pale from the store. He might brighten up, when I got Mali, he had little or barely visible spots. Now they are very obvious and bright.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote