Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #2331 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Hally, how much are you feeding your fish?.... 60% a day seems a bit much.
Thanks JK

Everybody gets three feedings of one 'Omega One Small' (<1.5mm) pellet per day. That's 3 pellets/day. I perform two 50% changes back to back every day; roughs out to 60%. I do it that way because the pH rises from 7.6 to around 8.2 between changes; I don't want to pH shock him.

He's in a bare-bottom tank, so I'm able to remove feces and food bits daily. I just figured the little glass-surfer was high-metabolism and a growing boy.

What's really got me stumped is the low rise in NH3 and pH in the divided, unfiltered 4g (gravel, rocks and plastic plants) compared to the 2g bare tank. Those two guys are moderately active, seems to me.

I understand that over-feeding is unhealthy --- fatty liver and obesity --- but I don't know how to tell if my fish are fat. I don't mind the water changes too much.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #2332 
JKfish

Well, in my opinion, you might actually want to feed them more, seeing as three isn't all that much. maybe give two in the morning, and two at night or something along those lines that would ammount to 4 pellets a day. Seeing as it sounds like your two boys in the divided tank are fully grown, they'll need slightly more food (and i'm sure your other boy wouldn't object either). And don't worry about your fish getting fat on four pellets a day. If you grossly over fed them with like 10 a day, then I would be worried about them becoming fat, but appart from that they're probably good.

Last edited by JKfish; 08-25-2011 at 08:52 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #2333 
nel3

i have a question nagging me since i got the API ammonia test kit. which reference chart do you look at if theres epsom or AQ salt present in the water?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #2334 
Stardancer

Question: Is it possible to OVER-condition your water? I use the regular Top Fin brand from PetsMart. I know that if you buy a fish from them, they add an extra squirt to the bag before you walk out with it, but I don't want to do something like accidentally add too much and poison my poor fish.

Also, if I do end up needing to balance out over-conditioned water, would I add plain water and trust that it would be conditioned by what's already in the tank, or would I add correctly conditioned water instead?
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #2335 
myfishjayne

Quick Question...

What do you do when you've been using the proper dose of Melafix in your betta tank and you learn you're not suppose to use it...?

Details: Jayne did something to his tail, I have no idea what, I think it was fin bitting while I was away on a trip (for like two weeks I wasn't actively here!), and I followed the dosage on the bottle, I did a whole treatment and just made the 25% water change...
What do I do?! He hasn't really been acting TOO differently, all things considered, but... (Is this the right forum? I dunno, any way, Thanks!)
myfishjayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #2336 
Neil D

Just stop and use AQ salt for tail biting. done and done.

1 tsp/gallon for no more than 14 days.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #2337 
JKfish

Nel, you look at the fresh water. There should never be enough water in there to make it salty enough to be salt water.

Stardancer, just be careful and dose according to the instructions. A little extra on accident won't hurt them.

My fishjayne, Just do another 25% or two so you have basically gotten most of the old water out
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #2338 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nel, you look at the fresh water. There should never be enough water in there to make it salty enough to be salt water.

Stardancer, just be careful and dose according to the instructions. A little extra on accident won't hurt them.

My fishjayne, Just do another 25% or two so you have basically gotten most of the old water out
thank you jkfish. i never have used more than 1tsp aq salt per gallon so far.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #2339 
myfishjayne

OKay, thank you very much. ^_^ Done and done. He seems a little stressed, just a little, but happy otherwise. He's getting old I dare say.
myfishjayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2340 
Neil D

Hasn't Jayne taken a liking to ATTACKING you?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote