Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #2461 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@Hazel: Wow that is the biggest container I've seen XD! A 1 should be fine, however I don't recommend putting a heater in it >_<... I'm glad he's feeling better!

@walle: It is fine to leave him in there during partial water changes. However you should add the conditioner to the water BEFORE you put the water into the tank he's in.
Haha, I think its from Kroger.. Lets see, maybe a baby spring mix? LOL, It is big! And no heaters in there, major melting time for sure!

Ug, and I just got the heater from Amazon (Ordered from there. ) that I'm going to use when he's out of QT and decided its 'water level must be this high' point was too high. Stink. So does anyone know how the Fluval 50 watt submersible heater does? That was the one on my backup list if this one didn't work out, which it doesn't.

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 09-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #2462 
walle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@walle: It is fine to leave him in there during partial water changes. However you should add the conditioner to the water BEFORE you put the water into the tank he's in.
So I take water out, put conditioner in, and put new water in? Thank you so much for your help!
walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #2463 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
So I take water out, put conditioner in, and put new water in? Thank you so much for your help!
Yeah, you put the conditioner into the new water before dumping into the tank...should have clarified that XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #2464 
walle

Hmm, I have to use a cup (never been washed with soap, only hot water) to change his water since I live in a dorm and I can't carry his tank b/c I'm a weakling, so what do I do? The cup is 24 oz. Do I put enough conditioner for that much in each cupful before dumping it in his tank?
walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #2465 
shrazybunny

You could find someone with a gallon milk jug/water jug and just recycle that...
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #2466 
Silverfang

Quick question!
do you need to rinse silica sand? I know you have to rinse gravel, but uh, how do you rinse and drain sand?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #2467 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
Hmm, I have to use a cup (never been washed with soap, only hot water) to change his water since I live in a dorm and I can't carry his tank b/c I'm a weakling, so what do I do? The cup is 24 oz. Do I put enough conditioner for that much in each cupful before dumping it in his tank?
You can do one of two things, you can either put enough for the cupful, or put the full dose in. Generally you should put it before adding, so I would do it per cupful of water. Especially if you don't know the parameters of your water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Quick question!
do you need to rinse silica sand? I know you have to rinse gravel, but uh, how do you rinse and drain sand?
I generally make it a habit to wash anything and everything that enters my tank (unless otherwise noted). Wash it in a bowl instead of a strainer. To drain it, just decant the water from the bowl (similar to washing rice). Then maybe put a paper towel on top of the bowl and leave it somewhere to dry out completely.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #2468 
Silverfang

Just so eager to get the tank planted!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #2469 
MinibotLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Quick question!
I don't know how much bearing this has on fish, but when I kept my bearded dragon, his sand was always sterilized in the oven in a one to two inch layer on a cookie sheet to be sure it killed anything teeny and gross that might be creeping around in it.
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #2470 
hmckin20

hey guys!

an unfiltered, uncycled ten gallon with three divided bettas in it- how often should i do water changes?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote