Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #2601 
placido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foisair View Post
About how much does a 10gal tank weigh when full (sand, decorations & water)? I want to make sure the stand is strong enough before I set this baby up.
Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. I'm not sure how much the rest will weigh but by having exactly 10 gallons of water your looking at 80 pounds.
placido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #2602 
PrettyLittleLiar

Can I ask if tank decorations are safe for fish? Since plastic plants don't seem all that great for their fins, can betta's damage their fins on mini statues that are a bit rough feeling?
PrettyLittleLiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #2603 
Neil D

Anything that casts a doubt...dont use it. Or use pantyhose!

If you run it across the decor, and it doesn't snag..then it is safe for their fins. Make sure they don't get stuck in any holes though...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #2604 
nel3

theres an LPS that i go to that has bettas in mason jars and 4 betta (1 per 5gal) 5gal tanks that have a betta with 10-15 goldfish. the bettas in the 5gal have some tailbiting but some are in better condition. i know both living arangements arent the best given people probably wont notice the bettas mixed with the goldfish. my qustion is which do you think is worse off, qusetionable tankmates or a bit more swimming space?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #2605 
Rain Drop

Tankmates for sure. Plus water has to be kept cold for goldfish. It's easier and better for bettas to be in smaller bowls and stuck under a lamp to heat it. Remember that small bowls are just temporary homes for a week or so till someone buys them anyways.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #2606 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Drop View Post
Tankmates for sure. Plus water has to be kept cold for goldfish. It's easier and better for bettas to be in smaller bowls and stuck under a lamp to heat it. Remember that small bowls are just temporary homes for a week or so till someone buys them anyways.
ty rain drop. personally if all were mixed with 5gal goldfish then it wouldnt be as bad. though most were in jars and ppl knew they were there, not so much for these 4. regularly maintained 5gal tankmates are better than dieing in a mason jar where water changes are questionable. i just wish the LPS actually publicly noted some betta were present. that LPS does have some steep prices $25 for a halfmoon. dont know about the CT but there are standard low prices for VT.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #2607 
Rain Drop

Yes, there should be a sign. I mean, this is a business, don't they want to sell their animals? :P And of course when small bowls are the option I would expect them to be cleaned often....but that depends on what kind of person is looking after them too, eh? At my lps/fs I once overheard one of the shopkeepers telling their co-worker how they don't really think of fish as living and feeling. How did they get hired? :S Anyways, I feel that's a factor when it comes to cleaning betta bowls at the store.

As for prices, that's about what I see on my side of the country too for a HM or something fancy like that. But vt's here are apparently uber expensive in comparison to everywhere else. Try 7.99 and up.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #2608 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Drop View Post
Yes, there should be a sign. I mean, this is a business, don't they want to sell their animals? :P And of course when small bowls are the option I would expect them to be cleaned often....but that depends on what kind of person is looking after them too, eh? At my lps/fs I once overheard one of the shopkeepers telling their co-worker how they don't really think of fish as living and feeling. How did they get hired? :S Anyways, I feel that's a factor when it comes to cleaning betta bowls at the store.

As for prices, that's about what I see on my side of the country too for a HM or something fancy like that. But vt's here are apparently uber expensive in comparison to everywhere else. Try 7.99 and up.
thats the price war i despise. i found a nice black/red/blue HM there but id have to pay $30 with taxes for him. i went to the other LPS nearby, no HM but most expensive bettas were $11 (W/O tax). i got my 2nd DT from there, im surprised i even found a copper dt in the first place.

is there any easyway to remove algea from ornaments aside from a dip in the pool or brushing it off?

come to think of it, my copper dt was in betta baracks in the lps. not sure about my VT but how long can a betta stay desensitized to other betta when he doesnt see any for a while? the DT and VT will go into a divided 5 gal. whats the best way to introduce them before putting them in the tank?

Last edited by nel3; 10-22-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #2609 
Rain Drop

I have a aquarium sponge where one side is like super mild rough wool. That and/or using a toothbrush helps.

As for divided tank mates I'm not sure, sorry!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #2610 
mollycule

Hi, I'm a new betta owner, I just got one yesterday, a male I named Tesla (I'm a physics major ;]) He seems happy and active in his 1-gallon tank, but he does tend to hang out by the heater a lot. The thermometer in the tank shows 78 degrees, is it OK for him to hang out by the heater so often? And also, I can't adjust the heater in any way - it is just set to keep the water at 78, I guess.
mollycule is offline   Reply With Quote