Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #2611 
bahamut285

@Molly: First of all, I love your username lol. It is fairly common for them to hang out at a favourite spot. Do you have any plants in your tank? They usually like to rest near the surface (which is conveniently wear your heater hangs) so it's comfortable and convenient for them. One of my boys used to love hanging out on top of the filter.

Secondly, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay :D
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #2612 
nel3

is there anygood reason why a betta's tail would disintegrate? my green DT had that a week after i got him and it went on for a week. he was heailing until yesterday and it started again. theres more within the past 3 hours and all the damage happens within a hour. the rays stay for a while while the webbing disintegrates. the rays later fall or get bitten off. its like someone took a razor and cut in between individual rays. it took a while for him to heal from his past few episodes. he's in ial and i match the ph pretty well. im at a real lose here, its like it happens once in a blue moon then stops.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #2613 
bahamut285

@nel3:
If they are straight lines through the webbing, it is possibly just blow-out from flaring or just swimming around, similar to how humans can pull a muscle from walking or doing exercise/sports.

If it looks jagged and uneven or maybe shredded, it is probably fin rot, and if it recedes then comes back, I recommend doing either more frequent water changes or medication if it is severe. Generally fin rot is accompanied by black edging.

If it looks "c" shaped or "u" shaped, then it is probably tail biting. There is no "cure" for tail biting but sometimes rearranging their surroundings can help calm them down or get them to temporarily stop. Sometimes biting can appear shredded if they go nuts on their fins.

In all cases, just keep the water extra clean to prevent infection and maybe add some Stresscoat+ to the water.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #2614 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@nel3:
If they are straight lines through the webbing, it is possibly just blow-out from flaring or just swimming around, similar to how humans can pull a muscle from walking or doing exercise/sports.

If it looks jagged and uneven or maybe shredded, it is probably fin rot, and if it recedes then comes back, I recommend doing either more frequent water changes or medication if it is severe. Generally fin rot is accompanied by black edging.

If it looks "c" shaped or "u" shaped, then it is probably tail biting. There is no "cure" for tail biting but sometimes rearranging their surroundings can help calm them down or get them to temporarily stop. Sometimes biting can appear shredded if they go nuts on their fins.

In all cases, just keep the water extra clean to prevent infection and maybe add some Stresscoat+ to the water.
thank you Bahamut, 90% is blowout with some biting on the blown rays, he rarely flares. is there anything possible to prevent blowout? blowout probably was the same as last session for him. i always use stress coaut for his water conditioner and a 100wc was done yesterday for the blowout part 1. ive put a bit less than a 1/2 tsp of aq salt for the 1gal he's in. i overdid aq salt for my VT so im very cautious about it now. i think aq walt melts his (VT) tail or weakens it for blowout.

i know genetics can play a part in fragile tails and his fins are far from perfect. the dorsal is constantly 50% folded over and even flaring gives 80%and his 2 pectorals are curved. he does have a curved spine but that does nothing to make him less valuable to me. can a blowoutharm the body if it has gotten bad enough to reach the body? last time top caudal split 1/3 of the length. now its split 1/2 of the remaining tail length. would taking out all ornaments be a good idea? atm i took out his castle and put the silk plant in. it has smaller spaces than the castle but rough edges.

Last edited by nel3; 10-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #2615 
mollycule

Quote:
@Molly: First of all, I love your username lol. It is fairly common for them to hang out at a favourite spot. Do you have any plants in your tank? They usually like to rest near the surface (which is conveniently wear your heater hangs) so it's comfortable and convenient for them. One of my boys used to love hanging out on top of the filter.

Secondly, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay :D
Thanks! I do have two (fake) plants in the tank, one small one near the heater and another larger one on the other side. The heater I have is long and tubular, and he hangs out near the middle or underneath of it (it almost reaches the bottom, it's about an inch and a half or so up). But then he comes back out and swims around for a while. It's kind of neat how when I come home he comes to the front of the tank to say hi. :) I tried to put a picture of him in my profile picture but I don't think it's showing up yet.
mollycule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #2616 
Bombalurina

Do ghost shrimp need a heater? I'm thinking about starting a 1.25 litre NPT with a trio of ghosties, but obviously it's too small to heat.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #2617 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
is there anything possible to prevent blowout?
If it is true blowout instead of tearing his fins on ornaments, no it's not really possible. One of my VT boys CONSTANTLY blows out his tail. I feed him 1 extra bloodworm a week to give him a bump in protein so he actually heals over pretty quickly. He also doesn't flare often but when he does, he thinks he's an HM or something and goes all out.

Quote:
i think aq walt melts his (VT) tail or weakens it for blowout.
I'm not really too sure to be able to confirm or disconfirm this, haha

Quote:
would taking out all ornaments be a good idea? atm i took out his castle and put the silk plant in. it has smaller spaces than the castle but rough edges.
Is the castle sharp? He may be just catching his fins on the ornament instead of having true blow-out of his fins. Run some panty hose along the castle to see if it catches. Betta's fins are really delicate and will tear on even the smoothest of decorations.

---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycule View Post
Thanks! I do have two (fake) plants in the tank, one small one near the heater and another larger one on the other side. The heater I have is long and tubular, and he hangs out near the middle or underneath of it (it almost reaches the bottom, it's about an inch and a half or so up). But then he comes back out and swims around for a while. It's kind of neat how when I come home he comes to the front of the tank to say hi. :) I tried to put a picture of him in my profile picture but I don't think it's showing up yet.
He probably likes it a tad warmer than other bettas. Is your thermometer located near the heater? Or far away? It's best to move it far away from the heater so you can get a true reading if the heat is circulating around the tank or not. My two females are actually kept at 80-82 because they appear sluggish and lazy if it is anything below, so there is definitely some variation in preference (just like people).

-------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Do ghost shrimp need a heater? I'm thinking about starting a 1.25 litre NPT with a trio of ghosties, but obviously it's too small to heat.
Ghost shrimp tend to appreciate water between 65-82 F / 18-28 C. (According to aquaticcommunity.com). So unless your house is freezing or scalding, they should be fine :)

My only concern is that the size of the tank for two reasons:

1. Ghost shrimp can get up to 1.5 inches if given the space. I believe you're supposed to provide them with 4L per shrimp, because they are sometimes territorial. (At least mine were T_T)

2. With such a small container of water, the temperature can fluctuate easily, causing unnecessary stress.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #2618 
mollycule

Quote:
He probably likes it a tad warmer than other bettas. Is your thermometer located near the heater? Or far away? It's best to move it far away from the heater so you can get a true reading if the heat is circulating around the tank or not. My two females are actually kept at 80-82 because they appear sluggish and lazy if it is anything below, so there is definitely some variation in preference (just like people).
The thermometer is on the opposite side of the tank than the heater. I can't adjust the heater though, so I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. He isn't really sluggish at all so I guess he just likes to hang out there and get warm for a bit before adventuring back out. Thanks!
mollycule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #2619 
nel3

Quote:
If it is true blowout instead of tearing his fins on ornaments, no it's not really possible. One of my VT boys CONSTANTLY blows out his tail. I feed him 1 extra bloodworm a week to give him a bump in protein so he actually heals over pretty quickly. He also doesn't flare often but when he does, he thinks he's an HM or something and goes all out.

I'm not really too sure to be able to confirm or disconfirm this, haha

Is the castle sharp? He may be just catching his fins on the ornament instead of having true blow-out of his fins. Run some panty hose along the castle to see if it catches. Betta's fins are really delicate and will tear on even the smoothest of decorations.
thank you, i wouldnt say its sharp but it a tad rough. though i'd have seen any issues with it long before if it were true. the ornament takes up some space in the 1gal and hes constantly brushing his caudals on the most suspect areas. havent seen any damage done from it just before his latest blowout.i'll test the ornament either way. Nelliel had some bloodworms today and i'll probably do that for a week or 2. i had him on pellets for the past 2 weeks.

how often does your VT blowout. so far its a month in between for Nelliel, he does heal fast when the time comes but im more worried about the frequency before he loses 90% or worse of normal tail lenght.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #2620 
bahamut285

Quote:
how often does your VT blowout. so far its a month in between for Nelliel, he does heal fast when the time comes but im more worried about the frequency before he loses 90% or worse of normal tail lenght.
Honestly, he blows out VERY often. He'd heal up very quickly, like a week-ish. Then 2 or 3 days later he'd blow out again. I even kept him in a deco-less tank for about two weeks to confirm the blow out :(