Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #2621 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Honestly, he blows out VERY often. He'd heal up very quickly, like a week-ish. Then 2 or 3 days later he'd blow out again. I even kept him in a deco-less tank for about two weeks to confirm the blow out :(
that must be stressful. how much is blown out each time? so far im getting 20-35% loss.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #2622 
pitbullmamaliz

10 gallon tank, unfiltered, one Betta, no other tankmates, no substrate. The fish guy at Petco (who actually seemed very knowledgeable - pulled out his phone and was showing me all of his fish like a proud parent) said to do 50% water changes once a week. I don't have a vacuum, so he said to swirl the water around (without Apsu in there!) so at least the crud at the bottom would get mixed in with the clean water so it could get dipped out, too.

Is a 50% water change weekly adequate? Do I ever need to do a 100% change?
pitbullmamaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #2623 
Neil D

If you have an unfiltered tank, you need to do 100% changes. On that size...I would say maybe 2x a month, with the 50% weekly. You really should get decor for your tank...especially hiding spots.

And a filter..that way, once it cycles, you never have to do 100%'s....

I have a divided (2 bettas), cycled, heated, filtered 10G, and do weekly 25% changes.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #2624 
pitbullmamaliz

Thank you! I do have decor in there - 3 silk plants, a fake croc skull that he loves hiding in and swimming through, and a tipped over coffee cup as a cave. I may get a filter later, just no money for it right now. I knew it wasn't as critical as a heater. Which I've had to buy twice now as the first one SUCKED and couldn't get my tank over 70 degrees. He's now at a toasty warm 80 and he's much happier.

Thanks again, Neil!
pitbullmamaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #2625 
Neil D

ok....just making sure...and good for you for prioritizing... lol
Old 10-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #2626 
BellasMomma

***water conditioner question***

say it says add 5ml for every 10 gallons. do i add that exact amount for every water change even though i only change say half the water. would i then add 2.5ml of conditioner???
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #2627 
Neil D

Try for around 3 ml of conditioner...a little more wont kill you're fish. :)
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #2628 
BellasMomma

ok so its more what i take out for the change that i add back in, thanks a bunch!! thats what i was thinking too, more is better than less!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #2629 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
that must be stressful. how much is blown out each time? so far im getting 20-35% loss.
Yeah it's around 30% each time for me. It's not so bad, I just have to keep his water very clean to prevent fin rot from developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullmamaliz View Post
10 gallon tank, unfiltered, one Betta, no other tankmates, no substrate. The fish guy at Petco (who actually seemed very knowledgeable - pulled out his phone and was showing me all of his fish like a proud parent) said to do 50% water changes once a week. I don't have a vacuum, so he said to swirl the water around (without Apsu in there!) so at least the crud at the bottom would get mixed in with the clean water so it could get dipped out, too.

Is a 50% water change weekly adequate? Do I ever need to do a 100% change?
50% a week for one betta and nothing else in an unfiltered seems excessive to me. Your best bet would be to get a testing kit and make your own schedule, haha. However, for now I would follow what Neil said, but getting a testing kit would make it much more definitive! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasMomma View Post
***water conditioner question***

say it says add 5ml for every 10 gallons. do i add that exact amount for every water change even though i only change say half the water. would i then add 2.5ml of conditioner???
I always add the amount of conditioner to treat the whole tank. There is no harm in it at all. Measuring how how much you changed is just too much work. So unless you WANT to do it and save on conditioner, I just dump in the disclosed amount for my total tank volume.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #2630 
hmckin20

Hey guys,

is a tetra whisper air pump a good pump to buy?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote