Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #2641 
Randomperson

I have another quick question, Derp >__<
So, the heater I have is pretty..... Well let's just say that name wouldn't be suitable for children haha
The heater will heat up and once it gets to 80 I turn it off, if I don't I'll have betta soup.... Very sad ... Betta soup
I usually turn it off for the night, for obvious reasons but the temp drops dramatically, I have 3 really thick jackets around my tank to keep it a little warm. I don't want to keep doing this everynight, especially because the key phrase is A LITTLE WARM

I devised a plan, but I'm not sure if it will stress my fish to much; move him to my room for sleepy time then move him back to the living room in the morning
My room is 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house, I wouldn't mind doing this since I know he will be at ideal temperature in my room

Thanks for your help
Randomperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #2642 
shinsolo

So... My fish made a bubble nest. Which Kind of made me mad because the tank was clean AND I didn't know what it was at first so I started getting mad at the filter!! My question... Will cleaning it up, upset my fish? If it will, it's too late this time.. I just cleaned his tank and when I put him back he will notice it is gone. But for next time, do I need to wait on cleaning next time? I don't want to upset the little guy!! If it's something he HAS to do, I'll let him, he was just sort of running out of air surface from his bubble making!!
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2643 
Neil D

Destroying it is fine...he'll make another one..

Look at it this way:

Destroyed Nest VS Ammonia burns...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #2644 
Myates

I always feel bad when destroying all the bubblenests all my boys make hehe.. one of mine made one that covered most of his tank last week- built it under a few oak leaves and it was ever growing daily. Poor guy, was his best one to date and he had to get a water change. I have one of my girls in between a couple boys, so I get lots of nests and each time I have to break them I am sad.. but don't worry, you'll always get more nests hehe :D Gives them something to do!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #2645 
JKfish

Hey Random Person, what sort/brand of heater do you have? How many watts is it? Also, how big is your tank? And what sort of thermometer do you have in your tank?

If it is one of those cheap heating pads, if the wattage is too much for your tank, or if the brand isn't a very good one, that'd be an issue. In my opinion, if there is an issue with your heater, then you ought to work on replacing it. Temperature swings are not good, especially drastic ones and can lower your betta's immune system. In the mean time, if your tank is small enough to move it without too much trouble, I say go for it.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #2646 
Larkspur

Guys I need help I made a thread but no one is responding my fish is dying and I don't know what to do! his heater broke while I was away so I gave him warmer water with a water chang and put some epsom salr but now he is just lying at the bottom of the tank and I don't know if he id dead or not I don't know what to do! he has very little color his tail is twitching but his gills aren't moving.

Never mind I'm pretty sure he just died.
He isn't moving at all any more hand I haven't seen his gills move in over 5 minutes so I'm pretty sure he is dead.
I know it's stupid but I even tried to give him like CPR I just gently pressed on his tummy but it didn't work... I didn't think it would but I figured it was a tleast worth a try.

Last edited by Larkspur; 11-05-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: too late.
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #2647 
JKfish

Oh goodness Larkspur, I'm sorry :(
Old 11-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #2648 
Myates

I'm sorry Lark =( I helped, but didn't stay on the pc much longer after that.. I'm so sorry
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #2649 
Betta Rookie

Should I turn off the filter if I am treating Gilgamesh for torn fins (possible ich) or let it keep running?
Betta Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #2650 
JKfish

Ich doesn't truly tear fins, it sounds like it might be finrot, something snagging his tail, or him biting his tail. As such, I think (unless you have a cycle) that you ought to turn your filter off while treating him.