Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #2661 
JKfish

Crowntail Twitchy 57, your lights are on way too long. 10 hours is typically the proper ammount. Too much light typically causes algae growth (as you are seeing)

HMCKIN20, bettas can go about a week or two without food. A healthy betta can survive a month, but that is quite extreme and I would never recommend that. About a week before you leave, if you want, you can start feeding him an extra meal a day, just keep up with the water quality (you'll probably want to do a water change right before you leave so he'll have clean water). He'll be fine without food while you're gone, unless your tank is less than two gallons (in which case water quality would be an issue).
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #2662 
hmckin20

Okay, awesome. I only have one in a 2.5 gallon and I can take her with me. I'm glad to hear they'll be okay while I'm gone. (: & Awesome tip about the water changes, I'll plan on doing that before I leave.
Awesome! Thank you :)
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #2663 
Myates

Never ever heard of them going a month without food o.O
I've heard and read from very reputable people here and on other sources that a healthy betta can go two weeks without eating, but at that point they are malnourished and it's a risk..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #2664 
TaraVictor

This is just more of a general question about water quality than anything.

I've been doing regular water tests and changes for the past few days now, as the nitrate levels are still quite high. Both the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0, so I'm not too worried about that, and the pH is 7.5.

The nitrate in my water is currently around 10. Is this a safe level? Should I just keep monitoring it and stop doing water changes? I know nitrate isn't particulary harmful as opposed to ammonia and nitrite, but I'm asking because I lost my first betta and I want Victor and the rest of my fish to live a happy, healthy life.

Oh, and my tank holds 25 litres (5 gallons) of water, if that helps.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks. =)

Last edited by TaraVictor; 11-08-2011 at 02:44 AM.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #2665 
shinsolo

how often/much should I feed my beta fish? The petstore said to feed them twice a week. The food says to feed them 2-3 little pieces a day. And my friend who has had beta's all her life just told me that she killed hers from feeding him too much, and she only fed him 2 pieces a day, spread out one morning and one night. My fish is so happy when I feed him, but I don't want to over feed him if it is going to kill him. What is good?
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #2666 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinsolo View Post
how often/much should I feed my beta fish? The petstore said to feed them twice a week. The food says to feed them 2-3 little pieces a day. And my friend who has had beta's all her life just told me that she killed hers from feeding him too much, and she only fed him 2 pieces a day, spread out one morning and one night. My fish is so happy when I feed him, but I don't want to over feed him if it is going to kill him. What is good?
Depends on what you are feeding him.. if they are the common pellets, 4-6 total a day is enough, spread between 2+ meals. If they say "mini" on the container, then 6-10 total a day spread between 2+ meals.

Flakes, 2 small pinches total a day spread between 2 meals- remove any uneaten flakes shortly after feeding.

Frozen foods, such as blood worms, just 4-6 total a day as well, spread between 2+ meals.

Freeze dried are treats, or a once a week meal supplement- 2-3, presoaked prior to feeding.

Always best to feed smaller amount, multiple times a day.

If you friend was only feeding two pellets a day, it was not over feeding.. more like under feeding that caused lower immune system and had gotten sick.. and possibly not enough water changes. Two pellets a day is very very low.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #2667 
shinsolo

Ohh thank you so much!! I don't feel so bad about feeding him now! I actually feel a bit like I'm underfeeding x.x *runs off to feed fish more*
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #2668 
GreenTea

I have one male who will not eat pellets, he was imported about 2 weeks ago, most have no problem eating them or after a few days of not eating they learn to love them. He doesn't appear to be losing any weight and is active and happy, but he wont eat. I've had him for about 2 weeks and given him blood worms and brine shrimp a few times so he doesn't starve, but haven't been giving him more than that otherwise pellets will gross him out comparatively. Any tips other than waiting and/or garlic soaking?
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #2669 
JKfish

TaraVictor: You need to do a water change, 10 is a bit high up there. A 50% water change should fix that. :)

GreenTea, I suggest you stop feeding him bloodworms and brineshrimp, they're preventing him from getting really hungry, and as such he can afford to snub your pellets. Try fasting him for a day to three, and then offering him garlic soaked pellets. He'll probably be hungry enough to eat them. If not, give the pellets a little squeeze before putting them infront of his face. They'll start to sink and the movement will probably trigger an instinctive bite.

Myates: and yes, while it is typically only in extreme cases with well conditioned fish (think aquabid fish being lost in the mail system for a while), it has occured before . However, it obviously is not a safe for good thing at all.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #2670 
Myates

Ah okay.. learn something new every day :)

Oh, and love your sig!