Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #2671 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post

GreenTea, I suggest you stop feeding him bloodworms and brineshrimp, they're preventing him from getting really hungry, and as such he can afford to snub your pellets. Try fasting him for a day to three, and then offering him garlic soaked pellets. He'll probably be hungry enough to eat them. If not, give the pellets a little squeeze before putting them infront of his face. They'll start to sink and the movement will probably trigger an instinctive bite.
I guess you misunderstand me. I've given him 3 or 4 worms and shrimp combined twice since he's been with me. Otherwise he would not have eaten for almost 3 weeks. Should I just continue to offer pellets until he figures it out?
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #2672 
shinsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I guess you misunderstand me. I've given him 3 or 4 worms and shrimp combined twice since he's been with me. Otherwise he would not have eaten for almost 3 weeks. Should I just continue to offer pellets until he figures it out?
how long have you had the fish?? I had trouble with mine not eating when I first got him. Turns out the pelets were too big for him. he was trying, but couldn't eat them. I had to switch to the baby pelets just so he could bite them. Not sure if this is whats wrong with your fish... but i know it fixed the not eatting problem with mine!
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #2673 
GreenTea

No he's a giant and the pellets are small, had him for almost 3 weeks I think? Not sure.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #2674 
TaraVictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
TaraVictor: You need to do a water change, 10 is a bit high up there. A 50% water change should fix that. :)
I've just done a 50% water change, and have now tested the water again. The nitrate levels are still quite high. Should I wait a bit more to test the water again, or should I do another water change?

I've also tested my tap water, and the levels are quite high in that too. Would I need some sort of conditioner to remove the nitrates in the tap water before I condition it and add it to my tank?

Thanks for your input. =)
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #2675 
GreenTea

TaraVictor, the brand Seachem makes a conditioner called Prime that will remove the nitrates from your water and is a great conditioner, you only need 1-2 drops with a gallon so it lasts forever too. It's sold at petco and I'm sure online and lots of other places as well. That should help, and yes I would add your conditioner and let the water sit for a minimum of 20 minutes before adding your guy back in... A lot of people age their water for 24 hours, this allows gasses to evaporate and removes chlorine. For me aging that long is usually not an option so I just let my water sit for a bit, 30 mins or so with conditioner in it.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #2676 
Salamandair

What is the dosage per gallon for Stress Coat +?

I'm putting Casper into his unfiltered, 3.5 gallon home and I'm conditioning the water with Stress Coat+ only, since I've heard good things about it.
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #2677 
nel3

it should say on the bottle itself, its 5ml for 10 gal you'd need 1.25ml for 2.5g. 1.75 ml for 3.5g

Last edited by nel3; 11-12-2011 at 09:12 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #2678 
Salamandair

Ah, good. I went ahead and added about 2 ml to each gallon and 1 ml for a half gallon, so there's about...5ml of Stress coat xD I'll just have me and Boyfriend monitor him the next 24-48 hours and if anything goes wrong, back into the old conditioner he goes!

Thanks, Nel3
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #2679 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraVictor View Post
I've just done a 50% water change, and have now tested the water again. The nitrate levels are still quite high. Should I wait a bit more to test the water again, or should I do another water change?

I've also tested my tap water, and the levels are quite high in that too. Would I need some sort of conditioner to remove the nitrates in the tap water before I condition it and add it to my tank?

Thanks for your input. =)
Even if you can't find Prime, any conditioner that removes chlorine, nitrate/ites and binds metals- which is most conditioners. Have you not been adding any conditioner to your water?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #2680 
erinandares

How can I get water stains off the front of my tank in a fish friendly way? Ugly things...
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote