Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #2701 
JKfish

Instead of feeding a whole wafer, try cutting them in half to reduce the mess :)

BettaHeart, I'm sorry but I really don't know.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #2702 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Instead of feeding a whole wafer, try cutting them in half to reduce the mess :)

ty JKFish, i'll definately cut it in half next time. is there any other way to feed algea to the fish with flakes similar to bettal flakes that wont dissintegrate? id like to know if there are actual flakes though given this is algea it just may be the nature of the food to be such that its messy. i have a good task for my snails in the 5g. the LPS i got the snails from also had spotted shell snails similar in size to zebras. are those also nerites that are unlikely to tako over a tank? lol i notice my 2 snails are hanging by each other since they were put in the 1g tank.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2703 
BettaHeart

Quote:

Thank you JKfish, as of right now I started a batch of micro worms with and without the atison's and have both parents in the tank. *fingers crossed*
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #2704 
JKfish

I do believe that your snails produce baby snails if one is indeed female and one is indeed male. However (I think I don't know -you'll have to double check) I think I remember reading somwhere that they can't reproduce in fresh water...? Algae tabs are messy, and as far as i know, there's no really clean way to feed them. However, I did read somewhere that if you get a bucket of tank water and add a few river rocks and leave them in the sun that they'll grow algae over a week or so, and you can drop the rocks in the tank and remove a rock to go into the bucket and become algaeish.

But you might not want that if your tank is over run by algae. If it is, then it could be an overabundence of phosphates or too many hours of lights. If you make sure that your tank only recieves 10 hours of light, then that might help some :)

Good luck Betta Heart!
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #2705 
nel3

Quote:
I do believe that your snails produce baby snails if one is indeed female and one is indeed male. However (I think I don't know -you'll have to double check) I think I remember reading somwhere that they can't reproduce in fresh water...? Algae tabs are messy, and as far as i know, there's no really clean way to feed them. However, I did read somewhere that if you get a bucket of tank water and add a few river rocks and leave them in the sun that they'll grow algae over a week or so, and you can drop the rocks in the tank and remove a rock to go into the bucket and become algaeish.

But you might not want that if your tank is over run by algae. If it is, then it could be an overabundence of phosphates or too many hours of lights. If you make sure that your tank only recieves 10 hours of light, then that might help some :)

Good luck Betta Heart!
i think sexing snails is difficult to begin with, i'll see what i can do. from what i understand, they may lay eggs but most will be duds if theres no brackish water. i just hope i dont have a femal snail. from the other threads on such snails, all say breeding only occurs in brackish water. i'll have to reserve the tank water and rocks for warmer weather but its definetly a very good idea.

i got my 5g with a 6500k CFL for 10hrs or light a day. i'll see how well they work on the 5g cleaning. i got an ornament already in the 1g for testing purposes.

Last edited by nel3; 02-06-2012 at 11:12 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #2706 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Photo Archives

Where are the Betta photo archives?

Thank you.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #2707 
phoenix91

Quick question about reusing plants.

My sick betta passed away on friday and i've thoroughly cleaned his tank and all accessories, i replaced the substrate and will get new filter media before adding another fish. My question is, how can i wash the live plants so i can use them in the tank again? or should i just ditch them and get new?

I don't think my fish had anything contagious, he had multiple tumours, but i didn't want to take any changes.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #2708 
johnny151

I posted this on the wrong thread =( since this is the quick question thread, I thought I would ask about this heater.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-110V-Aqu...item484031e8c9

I'm in need of a good heater for my new tank and found this for cheap. Idk much about heaters. But would any of you buy this?
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #2709 
callistra

^no. Get a name brand one like a jager, marineland or aqueon pro.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #2710 
phoenix91

How do live plants respond to aquarium salt. I need to add salt to try and treat a fungus (i believe) infection, should i take the plants out for the treatment or leave them in? I do have a smaller 'hospital' tank i could treat in too.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote