Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #2721 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny151 View Post
how do you add new water to a 10 gallon tank once performing a 20%-50% water change? do you put the new water in the tank and put in water conditioner? or do you have to sit it out with water conditioner added for a day then add the new water?
long story short, i recommend conditioning the water and then adding.
long story long, youll need less conditioner if you condition it first. but you dont need to let it sit for a day. water conditioner works right away. however ive heard that you can set your water out for a day and not use any conditioner at all because the chlorine combines with the oxygen and "evaporates"
if you condition the water after adding it, first off take the fish out, because youre pouring chlorine into their mouths, and remember to treat for the whole amount of water not just wat you added. so if you do 50% water changes and add the conditioner before, youre only using 5 gallons worth, whereas if you add then condition, you would have to remove all your fish and use 10 gallons worth of conditioner.
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #2722 
brettwashere

How long can a betta be out of water before damage occurs?
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #2723 
Bombalurina

It depends on a variety of things - how far it has fallen, whether there are other animals in the house, what is lands on...some people have found their bettas alive after ten minutes out of water; other bettas die from the impact of their fall. Sometimes the betta will die of shock or suffer diseases due to a shock-depressed immune system. There really isn't a "this many minutes and no more" answer to that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #2724 
brettwashere

Ok, well he is alive and I'm not exactly sure how long he was out. He is hanging out in the back of the tank, on the bottom. He did come up for blood worms though, and I can get his attention. Probably over concerned. He didn't fall far, the height of the cup he came in. Happened during a tank cleaning, I should have had a lid.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #2725 
Bombalurina

If you don't have a lid for your tank you can easily improvide by stretching some clingfilm across the tank. :) I'm using it for mine at the moment. Floating plants also seem to discourage jumping.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #2726 
brettwashere

Never had a problem while he's in the tank, I had him I n a cup next to the tank while the water reached temp. I went to wash the dogs and water the yard and when I came back to puut him in he was out. I think he'll be ok, but he still wants to hang around the bottom of the tank and I know its not a temp issue. Probably after effects of shock.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #2727 
Wolfie305

So I got Paarth some frozen blood worms a few days ago and I'm wondering - I don't have to do anything to them before giving them to him, do I?
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #2728 
Rosso1011

The only thing you really should need to do (I think) is just thaw them in some hot water. Other than that, I think you should be good. I would also wear gloves and wash your hands really well after handling. I have heard of people having allergic reactions.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #2729 
brettwashere

I would thaw them in cool to warm water, hot water and actually cook them as they thaw. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #2730 
Shadyr

I got a tank for my office and brought it in Monday. I know Bettas can easily skip a day of feeding, but would they be OK from when I leave the office Friday evening till I come back in on Monday morning?
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote