Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #2761 
MSG

hahaha.... plant matter. *lol*

Choose a variety of a sword plant. They're usually pretty hardy plants & don't fall apart like the floating variety.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #2762 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaChan View Post
Are there any plants that don't create plant matter in the tank? I've had a huge serious plant matter mess when I introduced Phillipine Fern into my tank.
Never heard of philippine fern, but the obvious questions are are you sure it was an aquatic?

Plants that almost never need pruning are Java fern and Anubias, since they grow so slowly. and both can be grown tied down in a barebottom tank. Most stem plants are non messy. you may have to deal with the occassional loose leaf, but thats it.
As MSG implied, floating plants tend to be the messiest. especially duckweed, which sticks to everything. Other annoying plants are carpeting plants that grows upwards :/ but I doubt you will need to deal with that. lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #2763 
MSG

P-Ferns look like pretty sweet plants to have in a tank.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...SOLD-GONE-SOLD

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=27085
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #2764 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Never heard of philippine fern, but the obvious questions are are you sure it was an aquatic?

Plants that almost never need pruning are Java fern and Anubias, since they grow so slowly. and both can be grown tied down in a barebottom tank. Most stem plants are non messy. you may have to deal with the occassional loose leaf, but thats it.
As MSG implied, floating plants tend to be the messiest. especially duckweed, which sticks to everything. Other annoying plants are carpeting plants that grows upwards :/ but I doubt you will need to deal with that. lol
Do you know which of these are messy and not messy to deal with? :o

Eleocharis ''parvula'' (hair grass)
Lucky bamboo.
Pink or orange water lily.
Echinodorus 'vesuvius' (AWESOME snake bamboo-like twirls!)
Fissidens splachnobryoides (the bottom moss)
Marsilea quadrifolia (water shamrock)
Anubias, Petite Nana (just big leaves)
APONOGETON ULVACEUS (large flat curvy)
Corkscrew Vallisneria (long snake twirls)
Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum) (long, stingy, spacious)
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #2765 
ao
TFK Moderator

None of these should be messy if planted right. If you want less messy plants, go for those with bigger non frilly/fragile leaves. Moss will generally stay together as it grows. but will eventually attach to things.

I'm not familiar with the water lilies, but the lucky bamboo should have its leaves kept well out of the water.

If we're talking about plating. moss can be a pain to attach sometimes. hairgrass can be a pain. I've resorted to staking mine down as it grows upwards instead of along the substrate. I would sugget to start with the larger leafed plants first before moving on to the more delicate plants.

I've never had an onion plant, but some members love them whilst othershad ot rot in their tanks.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #2766 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
What is up with Atison's Betta Spa being sold on every website I try to order it from? (I thought I successfully ordered it a few times but then I'd get an email saying it was actually out of stock and the company was crediting me back)

Anybody use this stuff? Does it work?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #2767 
Enkil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
None of these should be messy if planted right. If you want less messy plants, go for those with bigger non frilly/fragile leaves. Moss will generally stay together as it grows. but will eventually attach to things.

I'm not familiar with the water lilies, but the lucky bamboo should have its leaves kept well out of the water.

If we're talking about plating. moss can be a pain to attach sometimes. hairgrass can be a pain. I've resorted to staking mine down as it grows upwards instead of along the substrate. I would sugget to start with the larger leafed plants first before moving on to the more delicate plants.

I've never had an onion plant, but some members love them whilst othershad ot rot in their tanks.
+1

I have found anubias to be nicely clean plants when anchored or left to float.
I like java moss. I have it in quite a few of my tanks and haven't had a problem yet. *knock on wood*
I also like water wisteria. I leave mine to float and it has done well for the most part. Have to be careful when buying it. I had an experience where plants that were slightly unhealthy died on me quite suddenly. Much more careful now.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #2768 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
What is up with Atison's Betta Spa being sold on every website I try to order it from? (I thought I successfully ordered it a few times but then I'd get an email saying it was actually out of stock and the company was crediting me back)

Anybody use this stuff? Does it work?

I used it on my bettas once and it really didn't do anything that IAL can't. Never saw any difference in behaviour or health and it was pretty expensive so I stopped using it once I ran out.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #2769 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Oh ok. I thought Betta Spa was just concentrated IAL. I assumed Indian Almond Leaves were more messy or something. I just haven't tried either yet.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2770 
LittleBettaFish

Betta Spa has a few other ingredients in it as well. If you are changing out your leaves regularly rather than letting them decay they aren't that messy. Plus my males cannot resist bubblenesting under a newly floating leaf.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote