Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #2821 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleeluna View Post
I've been using 1/2 tsp AQ, but only doing changes every 3rd day. The dark blue one with red and the light blue with red one have dark edges, the brown one, his edges look kinda whiteish, but he doesn't look like a broom. I am kind of computer ignorant, but will take some pics now and have them on by tomorrow. Should I do 100% everyday. Like I said, it's not getting worse, but not better either. And it could very well be nothing. I'm just learning. I probably shouldn't have so many, but 2 were rescues from Walmart, the lady working there said they were going back to the breeder and they would kill them, so here I am. The current on the filter is nothing at all. The current in the females tank is pretty strong, but she does well with it. She's big, fat and health. Thanks again for all the help. I am so in love with the little guys.
It's fine, don't worry. Even if you're not sure what you're doing, they're still better off with you than being euthanized.
The one with blacker edges may have fin rot, but if the other one has whitish edges, it was probably an injury from the filter, biting, etc.
I would up the dose of AQ salt to at least 1tsp per gallon and do 100% or 50% changes every day. Using API Stress Coat should also help speed healing.
Are they eating and swimming around normally or are they lethargic?
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #2822 
Myates

Be careful though... you have already been exposing them to AQ salt for some time. They should not be in it for more then 10 days, 14 days very maximum. So if they have been in the salt for that long you need to remove them from it and keep them out of it for 1-2 weeks to get it out of their system. Even though it has been a small amount, it's still a lot for a betta.

If you are under the 10 day mark, as mentioned up the dose to 1tsp per gallon, and daily 100% water changes.. it's the clean water that is going to help speed things up, that is why it's important to do daily 100% water changes when using AQ salt.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #2823 
emaleeluna

I've been doing the AQ for probably 7 or 8 days, so maybe just a couple more days. I will up the dose, and I did change their water last night, will do again tonight. I really appreciate everyones help. I'm so addicted to the little guys. They are swimming, jumping for their food if I want them to, flaring when they get glimpses of each other, building away at bubblenests, they seem to be healthy. I can't even imagine exactly "how" they would euthanize them! Am going to have my IT husband help me put up some pics tonight. I am now thinking the only one that actually looks that bad is the blue one (handsome bob,) if I had to describe him, I would say he just looks "raggly." Thanks again so much to all.
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #2824 
nel3

ive purchased a new betta today to replace my DTHM. its colours are halloween themed ie brown blue body and bright orange fins with a smkoy grey finish. there are some green highlights in the tails also. the tails are the problem its a DT and his fins are huge. i saw him sitting on his fins today in the shop and hes in a similar position on the 1g QT. he doesnt swim much but he's only been in the 1g for 4-5 hours. would this current position (ie sitting on tail against the gravel) be a sign his fins are too heavy? he doesnt seem to be struggling to swim but they might be a bit on the heavy side.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #2825 
manami

hello all.

I bought a dropper and I have the seachem prime conditioner and this one doesn't indicate how much drops should I add for a 1 gallon. Does anyone know?

and can someone please recommend me a good heater from Petsmart?
I have a 2.75 gallon tank and I can't buy heaters online.

Please and Thanks!
manami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #2826 
LebronTheBetta

It's usually 2 drops per gallon since Prime is really concentrated. What about a Marina Betta Heater? I heard it's a little good. Get an adjustable heater if you can.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #2827 
manami

thank you for your reply, Lebron! :)
manami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #2828 
LebronTheBetta

No problem, I'm glad to help. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #2829 
emaleeluna

Hi all. Just wanted to update, seems all of your help, LeBron and everyone else, the fin rot, if that's what it was is now gone. They're all out of salt now and looking beautiful. Still trying to get pics up. Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. Also, the female, Camille, is still doing great in her community tank, although, it's not much of a community now. Gave the glofish to my sister, who are soooooooooooo happy in a 50 gallon tank, so she's only got a cory and a lace cat with her right now. Am thinking I might add someone else into the mix this weekend. And, she is still, totally crushing on the cory, Eric. She follows him everywhere, it's toooooooo cute!
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2830 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've been thinking of getting a Cory. How many do I need? How would they do in a bare-bottom tank?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote