Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #2871 
LebronTheBetta

Whoops, 25 watts I mean. :P Hydor THEO heaters are great! They're adjustable and I have one for my 3.5. There are 25 watt versions, want a link?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #2872 
labloverl

Is it this one? http://www.petco.com/product/116663/...um-Heater.aspx (I was already on the site lol) It's not much more than the top fins at petsmart. Thanks!
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #2873 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, that's it! I got mine from eBay, you're welcome.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #2874 
bettabayley

Two questions:

1) Henry almost DIED last night. My heater shorted out for no discernable reason, and when I woke up in the middle of the night, a cold front had come in the night, and the tank was way cold, and he was listless, barely swimming. I did my best to warm the tank up, and got a replacement heater today. I got a 50w heater for a 5 gallon tank. It has a switch that tells it what temperature it should be at. I put it at 80. Is this ok? Why did my heater short out like that? will it happen again? It is an Aquean 50w submersible. Good? Bad?

2) Is it bad to leave the fish in the tank when you do a water change? I did one a few days ago, and what I did was put Prime in the water he was currently in, drew a bucket of water and then treated it with Prime. I let the tank filter the Prime through, and the bucket sit, for an hour. Then I unplugged everything, cleaned the filter, the filter baffle, etc. Finally, I got a gravel vac and vacuumed out 50% of the water.I wiped down the sides, the top, etc. Then I ran plain tap water through the gravel vac and dumped out the bad water. Then I got the bucket full of the replacement water, reversed the gravel vac, and slowly, over a period of 30 minutes, pumped water back into the tank until it was back full up. Could that have killed the heater? Could that also have contributed to Henry's near death experience? Should I just relax and not worry about killing my new best buddy?
bettabayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #2875 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Heaters break. that's why many of us keep a spare on hand.

Your water change procedure, while a little elaborate. is fine. Certainly, you can leave your fish in the tank while changing water.

In time, you might want to think about cycling your 5g tank. Instructions are in the stickies at the top of the Tanks and Habitats section.

Cycling is not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the health and safety of the fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #2876 
BettaHeart

Ok this is completely new to me.
In my 5gal and 10gal there are really tiny white worms along the sides of the tank,
these things are really small, and few are long. they can fit inbetween the millimetre lines on a ruler and the bigger ones are a centimetre long. What are they and are they dangerous to my bettas? I never had this experience before so some help is appreciated. Thank you
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #2877 
labloverl

I can't tell you what they are as I do not know, but from what I've been told, they are harmless. A few of them is a good sign(If I was told right), but a lot of them may mean that you just need to vacuum the gravel a bit better. I had a huge outbreak a few months ago, but now I only seem them here and there. :)
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #2878 
ao
TFK Moderator

get the hagen elite from amazon. pretty good deals :) you can also get the 50w if you want. its cheaper
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #2879 
BabyBetta0108

I have a quick question, how can you tell that your betta is constipated?
BabyBetta0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #2880 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

His tummy will be bloated, do you know where to look to see if his tummy is big or
not ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote