Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #2891 
LebronTheBetta

Nope. Bettas hardly breath through their gills so its not needed. You can still use it, though. Just remember to keep the pressure low.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #2892 
Nothingness

thanks for the advice. Just setting up and cycling my tank for my first betta so this forum is a great help
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #2893 
Nothingness

This is the tank I have and I am wondering if the filter is adequate enough or should I look into something different. It has removable carbon filters.
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Half-Moo...allon+aquarium
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #2894 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You have the Tetra 3i filter that comes with that kit. It is poorly designed and virtually useless for filtering or for colonizing nitrifying bacteria for your cycle.

It has an adequate airpump, so you should be able to buy an effective sponge filter for a few dollars. Get a T-fitting for your airline if you want to keep using the bubbler as well. The aeration will help with your cycle.

Anabantids, like Betta, have what's a called a labyrinth organ which allows them to assimilate oxygen from the air. But they do, in fact, breath quite a lot with their gills.

Carbon is not necessary in a low bioload Betta setup.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #2895 
Ramla

Ok I need to know what I need to do with this part of my live anubias plant. Recently a black spot has appeared on it (pictures below show what I mean) It has just appeared on the one and I am not sure if it is hazardous or not. The last time I did a water change I was able to wipe most of it from the leaf, but it has grown back. So I am curious as to what it is and if I need to prune that leaf from the plant..Thanks!

Click for Pic
Click for Pic
Click for Fish

(added a pic of Mr. Stark since he was being photogenic today :D)
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #2896 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Ahhh..Anubias longifolia (long-leaf). I have several and like them a lot.

If the black spot wipes off, it's probably a little algae. You might have just a little too much light for low-light Anubias. If any leaves are turning yellow or clear, that's the problem.

Mr Stark is very handsome.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #2897 
Ramla

Thank you very much!

And alrighty....I was thinking it may be some sort of algae, but can't say I have every come across black algae in my years of keeping aquatic animals. But good to know it likely isn't harmful to the plant or my betta. That was my main concern..and if I don't have to prune my leaf that would be splendid since that's probably the biggest and healthiest otherwise on the plant XD
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #2898 
Canuck Fins

Since I've lost my Ninja, I decided to tear down the tank and do a full cleaning to get rid of the algae. (Suspect too much light on the tank since the windows were replaced.) Not a big deal: I know how to set up a cycle, I can wait for it to cycle again without a fish. I'm not ready for the next one.

Question: what about the filter that's in there now? Yes, I know that I lose the good bacteria in there. I'm okay with that. Do I need to buy a new filter pad thing when I'm trying to do the new cycle?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #2899 
Hallyx
Reference Team

@ Ramia
Anubias grow so slowly that they sometimes accumulate a little mold. I meant mold, not algae, although they'll get algae, too. I've had what you have on plants and decor. It seems wiping it off with fingers works pretty good.

@ Canuckfins

Keep your old filter pad in the dark in dechlorinated water. The bacteria will go "to sleep" without actually dying, although some will die.

Any that remain will be better than none when you begin your new cycle..
Old 10-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #2900 
Rocky12

Rocky lives in a 3.3g tank alone :)

Will my boy burn himself on the heater?
I keep it at 79-80 degrees.

More plants the merrier?
He has about 3 average silk plants that he seems to like getting inbetween the leaves and resting.

Should I dip and rinse or vacuum his gravel?

What about light?
Right now the tank sits near a desk lamp but it gives off some heat, so I hardly use it. What's best for a tank light? LEDs or?

Thank you!!
Rocky12 is offline   Reply With Quote