Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #2941 
emaleeluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Maybe she had internal injuries?
Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm just concentrating on getting him better now, but I miss her. I get so attatched to these fish! If you have any tips for me, I'd be grateful, I've only had them for 4 months. My husband bought me one for a get well present, he knew that I had been wanting on forever and within 2 months I had 5 of them. So now it's just all boys. I'd love to get another female, she was just so beautiful and full of personality, but I'm not sure where to get one. She was an accident, it was like I was supposed to have her. Anyway, thanks again, sorry to ramble!
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #2942 
emaleeluna

Just another quick question? Does anyone have any first hand experience with upside down cats? I heard that if they get big (over 6 inches) that they're not real upside down cats, they're hybrids and they are really mean. Mine is still small although he's grown a lot, I don't see him getting that big though. Thank goodness. I'm wondering if he needs his own tank. He's never attacked anyone, that I know of. He has a cave and if the male cory gets too close, he will run him off, but has never actually hurt anyone. I moved the cave and he's been staying out of it more and doesn't seem territorial when he's not in it. Any tips on these fish?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #2943 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaleeluna View Post
Thanks so much Neil. I had gotten so attatched to her. I was looking at the bettas @ WalMart one night and as you know, all they sell are males, but I looked at her and fell in love. Clearly, someone had made a mistake because I am 100% sure she was female (she had the little white spot, ovi-something, can't remember what it was called. Anyway, I snapped her up so fast I think I might have made her dizzy. haha So I had her in the community tank and she had become my favorite (shh, don't tell the boys!) and I just thought that since they were always staring at each other (her staring more at him than him at her) they might want to meet. When I put them together, it was the cutest, sweetest thing and then apparently it all went to hell after I was finished staring at them for 3 hours straight. Thanks again for the nice words. I would love to get another female, but am a little gunshy now. I have 4 boys, Handsome Bob, Archie, 1,2 and Mumbles, he's the one that is missing fins now, but he seems to be doing well. He had an actual hole in his tail where it didn't split, and it's completely closed already. I can't tell if the fin is growing back yet, but there's definitely no fin rot, fingers crossed. Do you think I should do anything other than salt right now? I know they can only be in any kind of salt for 2 weeks at a time. I'm changing the tank every 3 days, well, plan to start today. Any other tips so that I can get him beautiful again? Thanks again for the support. I miss her so much, her name was Camille.
Well, if it isn't finrot, a lot of the time you can just rely on really clean water. You can keep salting (for 2 weeks) if you want, but less medication is best with fish, always. Yeah, my DeT (Josh) is a tailbiter (really, he's insane), but it hasn't progressed to finrot. Good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2944 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Go easy on the salt. Unless they've actually got finrot, clean warm water should be all they need to recover....and lots of protein.

Some very experienced keepers don't use salt at all---any kind, any time:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-97842/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #2945 
emaleeluna

Thanks Neil and Hallyx, maybe I should try no salt since he's doing so well. I'm changing his tank today. I feel bad with him not having all of his "stuff" in his tank, I took out all of his pretty rocks just for ease of cleaning. He has pretty big yellow citrine, from when i did some mining, but I think I'm going to put it back in and just deal with it being a process, i want him comfortable. Do you guys think I should cut the salt down or not use it at all. He's in a 2 gallon tank and I'm using a quarter of a teaspoon now. I honestly forgot where I read how much to use, so I guess I'm not really sure if that's right to start with. He is still doing really well. No fin rot and he looks so much better. I would say that she actually tore 50% of his tail off and just shredded the rest of him all over, but he's eating and acting happy and all seems well right now. Thanks to everyone who's helping me, I'd hate to lose him too.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #2946 
Hallyx
Reference Team

One teaspoon per gallon is considered a "therapeutic dose." Anything less builds resistance making it less effective should you ever have to really need it.

Clean, warm water, protein and patience.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #2947 
emaleeluna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
One teaspoon per gallon is considered a "therapeutic dose." Anything less builds resistance making it less effective should you ever have to really need it.

Clean, warm water, protein and patience.

Thanks so much. I'm going to change his water now. I will make sure the new water is nice and warm, he's at 79 degrees all of the time. So, I'll match that. Since the tank is so small, I have them all in a small space in the corner and I have a space heater over there and it keeps it almost a constant 79, it sometimes goes down a degree to 78, but it's been working for over a month. The space heater is kinda behind them and they're all on a plant stand. Will try to get some pictures of them up. In the winter, I always keep it nice and warm in the warm, if not, I freeze, thin blood being from FL and then moving to the mountains. I will lose the salt since he's doing so well. His tail was "connected" for lack of a better word, kinda like a fan that you would hold in your hand. I have 2 like that and then the other two kinda look "seperated" like a broom. Now he's also seperated and 1/2 of his tail, the top part is just gone. His lower fin is already connected instead of split. No dark edges or yucky slimy stuff and he seems to be just bouncing along. Thanks again for all the help. I'm so new to this, but I don't want to give up because I just love them. I watch them sometimes for hours, so I really appreciate people helping the "newbie." I'm feeding him pellets, I forgot what kind because the packing was kinda stupid so I took it off and I'm also giving him a few bloodworms, I was told they were healthy as a snack.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #2948 
Billthebetta

Can you use too much melafix?
Billthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #2949 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billthebetta View Post
Can you use too much melafix?
Melafix contains tea tree oil which is controversial. Some people say it works. Some say that it will damage the betta's labyrinth organ which is essential. What are you using melafix for and how long have you been using it? There may be a better alternative.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #2950 
Billthebetta

So, what's a better alternative for fin-rot ?
Billthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote