Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #3051 
ao
TFK Moderator

hi and welcome to the forum Ashley :)

Blood worms is not a good staple for a betta. the way to get bettas to eat... as cruel as it may sound, is to starve them until they will take the pellets :)

bettas can go weeks without food, it is important to put your fish on a good diet, as a bad diet - such as blood worms (high in fat) - will lead to eventual bad health...

Water changes for a 1 gallon is recommended to be 50% mid week and 100% at the end of the week.
make sure the temperature is the same (you can adjust this from the tap). And dont forget the water conditioner!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #3052 
AyalaCookiejar

If you get the chance, I'd upgrade him to a 2 gallon or larger tank. It'll be better for him health wise and he will like the extra space.

In that size of tank, you should do a 50% and a 100% (or more) each week. Ammonia builds up fast in small tanks which might be the cause of his symptoms.

Bloodworms are also a treat. Get him on a good quality pellet like Omega One (not the flakes) or New Life Spectrum. Since he's used to bloodworms, he might not eat the pellets at first but keep offering them and don't cave and give him bloodworms. New Life Spectrum might be a better choice because they contain garlic which makes them more appetizing.

Many fish get picky and refuse pellets when they are used to bloodworms. Get him to start eating pellets and you can feed him a bloodworm once or twice a week as a treat.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #3053 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post

Blood worms is not a good staple for a betta. the way to get bettas to eat... as cruel as it may sound, is to starve them until they will take the pellets :)

bettas can go weeks without food, it is important to put your fish on a good diet, as a bad diet - such as blood worms (high in fat) - will lead to eventual bad health...

Water changes for a 1 gallon is recommended to be 50% mid week and 100% at the end of the week.
make sure the temperature is the same (you can adjust this from the tap). And dont forget the water conditioner!
While blood worms don't make a staple in their diet, these can be used as treats. Speaking from experience, the starving thing isn't too cruel. It took me forever to get my betta to eat pellets (a week +), but he eats them like a champ now. One of my girls gave me the same issue.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #3054 
ashleybanana86

OMG! I've practically been killing him! So glad I joined this forum. I'm kind of embarrassed I have been a member since I got him, but was too intimidated by all the links and didn't have time or patience to go through the sight... Nevertheless, here I am! This is such GOOD information for me... so good to know!
ashleybanana86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #3055 
ashleybanana86

Smile

Yeah, I have been cleaning the bowl 100% and never get the water temperature right. Always just tested by finger, and figured he would like it a bit warmer as the room temperature seems cold for the tropical fish. How unintelligent of me. Oh well, now I know. I hope he's not depressed.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #3056 
ashleybanana86

Sweet!

Oh so exciting. You'll have to excuse me, but I thought I failed as a Betta fish owner already, and the more I learn about taking care of him, the more excited I get. I am so glad there are solutions to my problems that don't involve purchasing an expensive book. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #3057 
NewFishFiend

The Betta in your avatar is GORGEOUS!
NewFishFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #3058 
ashleybanana86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
While blood worms don't make a staple in their diet, these can be used as treats. Speaking from experience, the starving thing isn't too cruel. It took me forever to get my betta to eat pellets (a week +), but he eats them like a champ now. One of my girls gave me the same issue.
I just learned how to quote. Oops. I was just replying to posts and not people directly... ah...

Well thank you Hadoken Kitty! I really appreciate your input along with the others. This is all so new to me... including forum chat.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #3059 
ashleybanana86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
If you get the chance, I'd upgrade him to a 2 gallon or larger tank. It'll be better for him health wise and he will like the extra space.

In that size of tank, you should do a 50% and a 100% (or more) each week. Ammonia builds up fast in small tanks which might be the cause of his symptoms.

Bloodworms are also a treat. Get him on a good quality pellet like Omega One (not the flakes) or New Life Spectrum. Since he's used to bloodworms, he might not eat the pellets at first but keep offering them and don't cave and give him bloodworms. New Life Spectrum might be a better choice because they contain garlic which makes them more appetizing.

Many fish get picky and refuse pellets when they are used to bloodworms. Get him to start eating pellets and you can feed him a bloodworm once or twice a week as a treat.
This post was for you>

> Oh so exciting! You'll have to excuse me, but I thought I failed as a Betta fish owner already, and the more I learn about taking care of him, the more excited I get. I am so glad there are solutions to my problems that don't involve purchasing an expensive book. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #3060 
ashleybanana86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post

This post was for you> ... still learning how to forum chat or whatever you call this. lol.

> OMG! I've practically been killing him! So glad I joined this forum. I'm kind of embarrassed I have been a member since I got him, but was too intimidated by all the links and didn't have time or patience to go through the sight... Nevertheless, here I am! This is such GOOD information for me... so good to know!