Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #3091 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Just a few pellets probably won't hurt anything. I think the fish would produce more ammonia than the sunken pellets. If it were a lot of pellets sinking, you'd likely experience problems with debris and possible ammonia/nitrate spikes or an algae problem.

If possible, removing the pellets sooner rather than later would probably be best, but no, it should not cause a huge problem. The only big problem I've experienced with my blind boy letting pellets sink is the algae issue and then when I siphon the tank, the pellets disintegrate and its hard to get all the tiny little specs out.

However, I have noticed that New Life Spectrum pellets don't dissolve like other pellets do. I know they aren't as good at absorbing meds so maybe they don't break down as fast as others?
Okay thanks. I just wanted to know because every once in a while, my boy misses a pellet and I don't want to have to break out the siphon or stick my hands in and make a mess or stress him out by sticking stuff in there...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #3092 
finnfinnfriend

How many pellets would end up accumulating at the bottom by water change day before you started spot cleaning with your blind boy?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #3093 
AyalaCookiejar

Around 1-5 maybe, depending. He has bloat issues so I don't feed him too often.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #3094 
quietlythundering

I've heard about how awesome garlic is for a betta's immune system and I am interested in using it for my bettas; however, I've never done it before, and I was wondering about a few things:

-Should this only be used sparingly, or can it be used on a constant basis?
-What is the best product to use?
-Is there anything else I should know about the usage of garlic in Betta food?

Thank you, and have a good day!
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #3095 
AyalaCookiejar

Some people use garlic juice but Seachem makes a product called Garlic Guard that's specifically meant for the purpose of soaking pellets. It is often used to improve the taste of food for picky eaters or for fish that are being fed medications because meds often make the food taste bad. I can't imaging you could use too much of it because New Life Spectrum pellets actually contain garlic. It might be easier just to purchase that type of food. The only downside is that if you ever have to feed meds, New Life Spectrum does not absorb well. For that reason, many people keep NLS and garlic guard on hand along with a more absorbable pellet type such as Omega One.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #3096 
quietlythundering

Oh, ok. Thank you! :D
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #3097 
elledreen

I just got my first half-moon from petsmart on Sunday, and he appears to be suffering from a bit of fin rot. just did a 100% change and am re-acclimating him to the water, but I'd like to do some salt treatments, it's only on his top fin and I reeeally don't want it to spread. I don't have aquarium salt on hand, could I use regular no-additive table salt until I get aquarium salt? I'm going to petsmart to see if they'll give it to me for free or discounted, because they sold me a sick fish (I closely examined him but I thought the slightly pink part was just his coloration, oops). If I return him they'll probably just let him die so I'd rather treat him than get a refund! He's too beautiful, and so special to me already! sorry if this has been answered, I was not able to find it..
elledreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #3098 
LebronTheBetta

Table salt is different than aquarium salt, never ever use kitchen products for your aquaria. :) Aquarium salt is pretty cheap, so I think you can pull it off.

Use 1 teaspoon per gallon, dissolved before carefully added into the tank. Also do a 100% everyday, I recommend to treat him in a small tank. What's the tank size?

For now, just keep the water extra clean.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #3099 
bettacrazygirl86

A big box of AQ salt is like, $5 at Petsmart. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #3100 
elledreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Table salt is different than aquarium salt, never ever use kitchen products for your aquaria. :) Aquarium salt is pretty cheap, so I think you can pull it off.

Use 1 teaspoon per gallon, dissolved before carefully added into the tank. Also do a 100% everyday, I recommend to treat him in a small tank. What's the tank size?

For now, just keep the water extra clean.
This is why I always ask here! I thought table salt would've been ok but I guess not :) His normal home is a 2.5 gallon heated tank, I did a 100% water change this evening when I saw it was really finrot not just coloration. I let him float & get adjusted to the temp while the heater stabilized, now he's back in the 2.5 tank (minus all the plants and decorations, so I don't have to repeatedly wash them). I don't really have anything smaller, the 2.5 isn't too hard to manage, and he has it all to himself. He's swimming around fine, not acting lethargic or anything which is a good sign. I found a good article about salt treatments so I think I'm all set. Thanks!
elledreen is offline   Reply With Quote