Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #411 
Fawnleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
To divided tank owners...when does the paranoia that somehow one of your fish is going to get through the crack between the divider and the glass even though he shows no interest and he wouldn't make it anyway go away?

Well, at least in my tank for the first few hours I watch the tank a lot, after testing the gaps myself. After a while the fish loose interest in the divider and leave. As long as you check it every few weeks, your fine. :D
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #412 
Moldau

To those who have fishless cycled with shrimp, how long does is take after adding the shrimp (5 gallon tank) for ammonia to be produced?
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #413 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldau View Post
To those who have fishless cycled with shrimp, how long does is take after adding the shrimp (5 gallon tank) for ammonia to be produced?
I'm only a couple of days in, but I had detectable ammonia after the first 24 hours. I guess my extension of your question is whether it takes a long time for nitrites to show up. I don't expect it to cycle fully in 7 days and know it's more like 4 weeks; I'm just curious.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #414 
JKfish

It depends. If you can find filter media from an already cycled tank, that'll help speed things up. If not, it can take about a month for it to stableize and stay at am 0, ni0, nitra +5
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #415 
nomoretickets

im starting a sorority now, and im just wondering how much fin damage is acceptable while they are nipping to establish order?
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #416 
DaEvangelist

Question Flaring good?

Howdy folks, I was just wondering if you all consider flaring a good thing as long as it's not excessive. I hear some horror stories about fins tearing up because of over-flaring. The thing is that I really haven't seen my betta flare in his new tank. Is not flaring at all a bad thing, a good thing, a neutral thing or I'm just thinking too much about it? Should I get him to flare sometimes so he'll remember how to flare and get some exercise?

The reason I'm asking is that I saw this floating mirror thing being sold at PetSmart and it said that flaring is good exercise for my little guy.

Thanks!
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #417 
nomoretickets

you will find mixed opinions about how much bettas should flare but i think everyone agrees that there is such a thing as too much. If they are constantly flaring at their reflection they will get stressed out. I know what you are talking about and from my experiences with my bettas, it will be hard for a betta to really even see that mirror and really flare at it.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #418 
wallywestisthebest333

Hey guys! My cycling adventures start today! :D

I'm emptying my tank, cleaning my filter and sponges, then starting fresh.

I'll get a base reading tomorrow and then I'll be doing the piece-of-shrimp method with the 3.38 oz bottle of TSS that I have. I called Tetra Co. and apparently it doesn't "expire" for a year. There's no sticker on mine but I bought it in June and it's not harmful apparently if the bacteria are dead anyway. It'll just take longer to cycle.

So my main question is this: Do I need to do anything to the pantyhose? I'm worried that they may leech chemicals or something into the water since they're made of nylon. 8[ it's creeping me out. I don't want to have to start over because I used pantyhose. I'd use cheesecloth but I can't find any. :/

I'm gonna rinse the pantyhose in warm water first of course; I'm just worried about it sitting in my tank. :[

Is this just some ridiculous fear of mine or is it well founded? Anyone have any horror stories they'd like to share?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #419 
nomoretickets

id rinse it for a long while under running water as hot as it will come
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #420 
JKfish

I've used pantyhose before, they're fine in tank. Lol, but if you're scared, get a small sandwhich baggie, tear a few small holes in it and use that.

Speaking of cycling... my cycle has remained at .25 ammonia and 0 everything else for a few days now. I'm adding food very often, and I can tell because my plants are pretty much exploding. It seems like the plants are growing enough that no matter how much fish food I add they use up almost all the ammonia before the tank gets the chance to cycle. what should I do
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote