Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #421 
Oldfishlady

How big of tank and how long have you been cycling-is the fish food the only ammonia source, how many and what kind of plants?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #422 
darkangel216

New boy is snubbing his nose at his betta pellets. I'm going to try the other brand of pellets that I have, but I'm not sure if that will work. What was it that I can soak the pellets in to make them more appealing to the little fella?
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #423 
1fish2fish

If you just got him give him time. Some times it can take up to two weeks for a betta to feel comfortable enough to accept food.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #424 
darkangel216

He gobbled up a bloodworm though. . .
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #425 
JKfish

OFL: Just fish food in a 10 gallon. I put about three large pinches into a plastic baggie with holes in it and let it sit in the water for a day or two until it gets moldy, then I take it out and replace. I'll do this until I can get a piece of shrimp to put in there. I started the cycle six days ago. Plants: A handful of water lettuce, 2 aponogeton bulbs, 6 stems of wisteria, and a java fern.

All the plants are growing like weeds. The wisteria have grown around 4 new leaves each in the past six days. The aponogeton bulbs have new leaves that are almost to the top of the aquarium (it's been in four days), the water lettuce has multiplied from two small plants to a lot, and the java fern just sort of sits there with no new signs of growth.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-18-2010 at 06:22 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #426 
Oldfishlady

Personally-I would make a 50% water changes and add my fish-you have enough plants to take care of the water for one Betta without issues and due to the plants you may wait a long time before you see a nitrate reading as the plants use the ammonia up before conversion-also the fish food is a great plant food as you are finding out....lol.....
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #427 
JKfish

Lol, actually, this is for a sorority made up of 1Fish2Fish's 4 girls I'm adopting. Would that still be okay? Because if it is, all I have to do is wait for a little bit more plant growth (the wisteria are only almost halfway to the top of the tank), then everything will be ready :D
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #428 
Oldfishlady

As long as you are willing to make any needed extra water changes all should be fine-I am assuming this is a 10g tank and with 4 fish and all the plants especially the water lettuces and wisteria-these plants will take care of the water-you may need to make one extra 50% water only change along with the regular 50% weekly water change......

I will set a soil based tank up, plant and add floating plants, shrimp, snails and fish all the same day...just set 3 new ones up last week-and never have any deaths or problems of any kind and with soil based tanks they can be tricky when first setup and for the first 3 months....watch the fish and they will tell you if you have a problem by their behavior in-between regular water changes.......
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #429 
JKfish

okay, thanks OFL :) When you say an extra 50% water change, do you mean just two 50% water changes a week?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #430 
danifacetastic

This isn't a question but something I thought I'd share. After 5 days of trying to get my new ADF's to eat they FINALLY ate. It was only one bloodworm each but still. Sucess :) And when I opened the lid for the tank today one of my ADF's swam to the top and I tried to pet it, expecting it to swim away but it let me hold it!!
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote