Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #441 
danifacetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Yes, that is the correct amount. I didn't know either so I e-mailed the company and that was their response.

I was confused after I started looking at other conditioners and seeing that capfuls were being dumped in but it's indeed 2 drops. Must be really strong. One time I accidentally used 4 drops and my water was overflowing with bubbles.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #442 
JKfish

oh, alright... though does the lid come with a little dropper or something to measure out drops, or should I go buy myself an eye dropper?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #443 
danifacetastic

I got the small bottle and the bottle itself acts like a dropper. When you turn the bottle upside down it doesn't flow out...when you squeeze it just drops out. Super easy.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #444 
JKfish

oh, awesome :) Looks like I'll have to buy that soon then.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #445 
TRISHIESfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Stress lines are visible on darker colored fish. white and light colored fish don't show them as well. Basically, stress stripes are thin dark horizontal stripes. I'll try and find a picture.
edit: eh, I can't post pics on this computer, so here's a link http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...sct&1290268204 . If you look at her, you'll see that she has dark horizontal stripes. That's what they look like, however, she's probably just being submissive to the betta next to her.

Oh, okay OFL :)
Thanks for the link but it took me to the aquabid search page for crowntails
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #446 
danifacetastic

Yeah it's awesome. I've had my bettas since August and the bottle is still almost full. It's amazing. It's like 5 bucks for a small bottle but it goes a longggg way.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #447 
Malvolti

2 questions

I have 2 questions for the collective wisdom of this forum;

1) Does Bettafix (Melaleuca) actually help the healing process?

2) What is Betta Enviro-clean ? can it actually help my tank in any way without harming my fish? (I don't really want to use it I've just never seen it before so I'm curious if it is actually useful in any way) Considering it breaks down organic material it doesn't sound good.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #448 
Canuck Fins

While doing a fishless cycle, if I need to add a bit more water (maybe a litre) to the tank (5g, heated, filtered), do I need to worry about water conditioner?

And in general, how high does ammonia spike before the nitrites start showing on the test?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #449 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
I was confused after I started looking at other conditioners and seeing that capfuls were being dumped in but it's indeed 2 drops. Must be really strong. One time I accidentally used 4 drops and my water was overflowing with bubbles.
And I don't think you can overdose Prime. When I first started keeping fish I used Start Right which is 10 drops per gal. When I switched to Prime I just automatically used 10 drops/gal. and did so for YEARS till I saw on this forum that the correct dosage is only 2 drops/gal. That's when I e-mailed the manufacturer to find out for sure. In any event, no harm ever came to any of my fish using 10 drops/gal - thankfully!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #450 
DaEvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
While doing a fishless cycle, if I need to add a bit more water (maybe a litre) to the tank (5g, heated, filtered), do I need to worry about water conditioner?

And in general, how high does ammonia spike before the nitrites start showing on the test?
Err on the side of caution and add the conditioner. There just might be enough chlorine or chloramine in there (though diluted by the conditioned chlorine/chloramine free tank water) to kill or retard the growth of beneficial bacteria thus slowing down the time to cycle your tank. This is for tap water, if you're using bottled water, you don't need to condition it.

No one really notes how high their ammonia spike gets up to, but I've read around the web that you want to keep ammonia to 5ppm level for the first two weeks. Even adding more ammonia to keep it at that level since it gets used up by the growing bacteria. I've seen a graph where someone was cycling their cichlid tank and it went up to a peak of 20ppm (spike peak at 10 days) for ammonia and 50ppm for nitrites (appears at 2 weeks, spike peak at 30 days).

Here's the link with the graph about 2/3 of the way down the page. It's a really good read as well if you want to read up on the cycling process.

http://www.freshwater-aquarium-fish...._chemistry.htm
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote