Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #481 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardancer View Post
I have a few questions that I've saved up while reading this thread :)

One: My tank is either 1.5 or 2 gal (I don't know because I rescued the tank, complete with 2 females, from someone else). I read a lot about cycling the tank, and then I read other posts that seemed to say that the tank is so small it can't be cycled, or won't cycle well. Is this so? And if I don't need to cycle it, should I remove the filter?

(To clarify, I know this isn't an ideal setup. Until I can get my fish well, though, and get all the right equipment, I need all the advice I can get on what to do with the setup I have now.)

My second question is: how often do I need to clean my gravel? I'm doing frequent water changes (every day or every other day), especially since my red, Mitsu, hasn't recovered from being abandoned by her last person.

And the last question is: how should I use Epsom salt? I added some (1 tsp/gal), mostly for Mitsu. She's now in a quarantine cup, though, so should I skip the salt in the main tank for my blue's sake? I know it's all right for now, but I don't know how long I can use safely use the salt.

Phew, that was a lot. Thanks in advance for your help :)
1. go ahead and take it out :)
2. you're pretty overstocked, so I'd do 100% water changes at least twice a week along with frequent smaller water changes
3. What's wrong with Mitsu? Epsom salt is used to clear constipation, heal wounds, etc. It should only be used about 10 days in each treatment, though techincally you could go a little longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Okay so I have a question (too lazy to see if it has been asked... that's alot of pages to browse)

1. There's a wierd smell in my tanks. I kind of sound pathetic here when I say this... it smells fishy. One tank is 2.5 gallons and gets twice weekly 100% water changes. The other is 1.75 gallons and gets water changes every other day. The smell is terrible and builds up real fast, and if I don't clean the tanks well enough after a water change it'll still be there.

2. Is my cycle going normal? It's a 10 gallon tank and the ammonia is at 5-6 PPM. No nitrites have appeared yet! It's been this way for 10 days, I can't seed it because the only established tank other than mine is a saltwater >.>
You might want to rinse a bit longer, and make sure you aren't overfeeding.

I heard you said you would take the shrimp out of the tank after it reached a certain level. Go ahead and stick a new one in there, the extra ammonia will help the levels as necessary before they are converted. When I was cycling, my cycle got 'stuck' in the nitrites, but refused to convert to nitrates. I added some fish food in addition to the practically gone shrimp, and that extra ammonia seemed to help a lot.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-04-2011 at 12:28 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #482 
Stardancer

Quote:
What's wrong with Mitsu? Epsom salt is used to clear constipation, heal wounds, etc. It should only be used about 10 days in each treatment, though techincally you could go a little longer.
I don't know what's wrong with her. The water quality where she was kept before was really awful and she just hasn't recovered. She lays on the bottom of her cup (or the gravel), mostly nose-up, but sometimes sideways. She goes up for air okay, but she's only come up for food a couple of times over about a week. Sometimes she'll flop around and I think she's stuck in this bent shape, but other times she goes on short trips around her quarantine cup and looks perfectly normal for about thirty seconds. She's skinny, but she wasn't very big to begin with. And sometimes her gills flare really hard, like she's gasping.

I guess I'll stop with the salt, since it's true she doesn't have any open wounds and I doubt she's constipated. It's hard--I keep wanting to add every remedy I can think of, but it's probably better just to keep her water clean and give her time.

I bought some freeze-dried brine shrimp, so I'll give her some of those and see if the protein helps at all.
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #483 
SilverCaracal

It would mean so much to me if you'll guys could list some easy to care for and low light plants for me. Include the scientific name too, if you can. Thanks!!
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #484 
JKfish

StarDancer: You might want to make a thread in the Emergency subsection to get better help.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #485 
Stardancer

JKFish: I did (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=58743). So far I've only gotten a couple of answers, though.

SilverCaracal: I looked at plants today and one of the workers told me that cabomba is a hardy plant that doesn't need much light.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #486 
Stardancer

I have another question. I vacuum the gravel at least once a week when I clean the tank, but I've seen that some people also rinse their gravel. How often should this be done?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #487 
shinybetta

Don't rinse your gravel if your tank is cycled , it will kill all your beneficial bacteria. I would just vacuum, but it is up to you.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #488 
Stardancer

Quote:
Don't rinse your gravel if your tank is cycled , it will kill all your beneficial bacteria. I would just vacuum, but it is up to you.
I suppose I should have mentioned that...it's not cycled. It isn't big enough. I got it secondhand so I'm not sure of the size, but I think it's about 1.75 gal.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #489 
chargers505

1. What is the best method to warm up aged water??

2. At what age does a betta stop growing it's fins?

3. I'm buying a betta from Thailand. Most likely, the water that my betta is used to is different from the water I have in my cycled tank. What do I need to do to accommodate his needs and ease his transition to my tank? How long do I leave him in his bag before I can set him free in my tank?
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #490 
JKfish

1) Stick a small cheap heater pad thing in there if you have one. Or remove your betta fish during a water change, pour in the water, let the heater heat the water to the proper temp, then stick your betta back in.
2)I'm not sure. After they're mature, their spread will stay the same and so should their tails, but if they tailbite or suffer from finrot, their fins will naturally heal until the proper length in good water.
3) Slllllloooooooowwww acclimation. get a floaty empty tubberware, and float it in a warm tank. Float the betta in its bag in the tubberware, then pour the betta and its water into the tubberware. Every few hours or so, take a small bit of water out and replace it with your tank water. After you think his water in the tubberware is like the water in your tank, test it for ph, ammonia, etc and make sure if matches closely.