Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #41 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
i have never heard of this. i dont mean to sound childish but... (pantyhose) really?? does it actually work?.

i dont think i would ever do this:) because some of us on here are male and apparently dont use pantyhose and are single lol.
Yes it does work

If you don't have pantyhose you could cut a piece of aquarium sponge about the size of your intake cage, stick it over or in the intake cage, and it'd have the same effect as the pantyhose because it'd keep your bettas fins from being sucked in.

My question: How often do you change your water when your tank is cycled? I notice lots of people do things differently. I've got a 5 gallon I was hoping to do weekly or biweekly 50-75% changes. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-22-2010 at 09:54 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #42 
RandomFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Potassium permanganate? what's that?
It's an oxidizing agent that you can get at Home Depot or some other hardware store with a gardening center.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #43 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Yes it does work

If you don't have pantyhose you could cut a piece of aquarium sponge about the size of your intake cage, stick it over or in the intake cage, and it'd have the same effect as the pantyhose because it'd keep your bettas fins from being sucked in.

My question: How often do you change your water when your tank is cycled? I notice lots of people do things differently. I've got a 5 gallon I was hoping to do weekly or biweekly changes. =]
i have a 1.5 gallon tank and i do water changes once every 1 1/2 week water change:). and in your case if i were you i would do at least a once every 2 1/2 week water change.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #44 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
i have a 1.5 gallon tank and i do water changes once every 1 1/2 week water change:). and in your case if i were you i would do at least a once every 2 1/2 week water change.
You really ought to be doing 100% daily or every other daily changes for a 1 gallon. trust me I know from experience. =]

I currently have a 2 gallon that I do daily 50% changes on because I've got a finrot healer.

Thank you though for helping. =] Good luck with your 1 gallon. =]

Btw cycled tank owners, the question still stands: How often do you do water changes each week? =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-22-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: forgot to restate my question
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #45 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
wait I think I might be reading it wrong. Are you doing daily 50%s too? Could you write it out for me? the numbers make it harder for me to read as I tend to read them backwards half the time... fractions are especially a problem for me. =[
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #46 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
wait I think I might be reading it wrong. Are you doing daily 50%s too? Could you write it out for me? the numbers make it harder for me to read as I tend to read them backwards half the time... fractions are especially a problem for me. =[
yes im doing 50% water changes almost every 1 and a half weeks.

understand?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 07-22-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #47 
Campbell

Quote:
yes im doing 50% water changes almost every 1 and a half weeks.

understand?
How often do you do 100% changes? In a 1.5 gallon tank ammonia would build up quickly... I have a 2.5 gallon and I need to do ALOT more water changes than that.

Last edited by Campbell; 07-22-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #48 
wallywestisthebest333

Ah. Yes that's much better! =] Thanks.

Sorry. I know it's annoying when people have to ask you to repost stuff. =[

So yeah I stick to my previous statement. I think you should be doing at least every other day 100% water changes. Sorry. =[

Unless you somehow cycled your 1 gallon?

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-22-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #49 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
How often do you do 100% changes? In a 1.5 gallon tank ammonia would build up quickly... I have a 2.5 gallon and I need to do ALOT more water changes than that.
yes but i only do 100 % water changes 5 times a month because i have a whisper filter and it does a very good job with cleaning.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #50 
chrisbdaemon

Second guessing my new betta

Hello,

I just purchased a new Betta yesterday and now that I'm reading more, like finding out that I need to completely clean the fish bowl every day to keep him healthy and that I need to spend more money to buy a heater and bigger fish tank (tbh, i'm not sure what size my tank is, i bought it from walmart for around $7 and it didn't say anywhere but i think its 1-2g?) and possibly buy a filter and a bunch of stuff to start the cycling... its all beginning to be a bit overwhelming to be honest!

Once I get things sorted out and get a pattern down does everything get easier and smoother? If I use a 2-5g tank how much would it cost on average to get a filter and setup the cycle (I'm trying to decide if I want a filter or not).

When I first bought him I thought I would just feed him twice daily some cheap pellets and enjoy watching him swim around and enjoy having him but I'm learning its much more complicated and I'm second guessing my purchase.

Has anyone been in my situation recently that could give some advice?
chrisbdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote