Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #501 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Right now, you need to focus on your set up if you want him to grow. If you're tight on money, you can buy a 2-5 gallon sterlite or rubbermaid tub for less than ten dollars. A heater, any heater would be good, though an adjustable one will do you good.

It sounds like he's got a bit of SBD (swim bladder disorder) fast him so he'll swim a bit easier. Frozen brineshrimp will do him good, and it might be easier for him to eat.
Great! thank you so much. I have a small amount i always put aside for just the bettas and its accumulated to be enough to get a 5gal tank, and heater. I didnt feed him after the morning feeding and i noticed earlier he was swimming alot better then before lol he is so tiny Im tempting to call him Mite lol but that wont be his name.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #502 
bahamut285

Just a question about my new betta... I had him in a small QT for 4 days while I used Nutrafin cycle to cycle his 5G tank. He's in the new 5G now and whenever he swims, it's always very rapid and edgy as if he's either panicking or he sees something he wants to fight. He doesn't do it in one corner he just does it occasionally. He rests from time to time but always gets back to going crazy...

Should I be worried? He's been in there for 12 hours and other than the 7 hours I was at school, he's only swam "normally" for maybe 30 minutes out of the 5 hours I've observed him.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #503 
Canuck Fins

You will all be sick of me asking questions here, but I hope you'll still help me anyway. :)

5G/Heated/Hawkeye/Prime/Tap water/dead shrimp x2/API liquid testkit/79*.

My ammonia is up at 8ppm, but I am not seeing any nitrites at all. I can't seem to hit the next part of this; first shrimp has been in about 6 weeks and second went in about ten days ago. I think I'm doing something wrong bc it's not working. Plan is to eventually have live plants.

I thought that plants suck up ammonia so it can be counterproductive to have them while trying to cycle at first as they will skew the ammonia numbers. But then I read another thread on here and I'm wondering if I should go get plants now. I don't want to get my betta until the tank is cycling.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #504 
JKfish

Bahamut285: what are your water params? it sounds like if you only waited a small while for your cycle, that it isn't ready, so something is wrong with your water to make your fish act this way.

Canuk: hmmm, how's your filter? You've basically only got sponge filter media in the filter that you haven't removed or washed recently, right? oh, and what is your Ph like?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #505 
bahamut285

JKfish: I don't know what the params are, it is dechlorinated, and the instructions on the bottle of the NutraCycle say that after 4 doses (4 days) you are able to introduce one fish or 3 small/schooling fish. Subsequent fish require additional time and doses....

Should I do a water change? If so how much? T__T

**Edit: I've got a filter on lowest setting and heater set to 78
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #506 
bahamut285

UPDATE: HB flared at me this morning, I had to leave to get him to calm down >_>

I went and bought a water test kit and this is what I got, readings and what it says on the charts:

Ammonia: 0.5 ppm (Stress)
NitrAte: somewhere between 0-20 (Safe)
NitrIte: 0 (safe)
Hardness: 150 GH (Hard)
Chlorine: 0 (safe)
Total Aklalinity: between 40-80 (low-moderate)
pH: 7.8 (Alkaline)

I bought him a cave today and I'm washing it right now with hot/warm water
Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #507 
BettaHeart

I was wondering where can i get Indian Almond Leaf? and i heard there are tea bags of this stuff so my other question is which one will be more beneficial?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #508 
JKfish

BettaHeart: ebay :) There's a seller, I think her name is Amy, and apparently her leaves are high quality and for a very good price. I think they're both just as good seeing as the teabags have the leaves in them.

Bahamut: A water change should do the trick, unfortunately your tank is not cycled, seeing as there is ammonia in the water. You'll probably want to proceed with an in tank cycle, or take your boy out and do a fishless cycle.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #509 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
BettaHeart: ebay :) There's a seller, I think her name is Amy, and apparently her leaves are high quality and for a very good price. I think they're both just as good seeing as the teabags have the leaves in them.

Bahamut: A water change should do the trick, unfortunately your tank is not cycled, seeing as there is ammonia in the water. You'll probably want to proceed with an in tank cycle, or take your boy out and do a fishless cycle.
So there really is no difference, ok How can I find Amy?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #510 
JKfish

Here's one of her auctions on ebay. 200 grade A leaves for 15 dollars plus 15 dollar shipping is a pretty good deal, especially when you compare it to other auctions for a similar ammount of same quality leaves. I think she's on aquabid as well...