Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #531 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Aluyasha, I use old mugs that have withstood the test of several years of use and washing with little to no fading. Also, scratch at the colored areas, if anything rubs off onto your nail, don't put it in. You can also use terra cotta pots, those are perfectly safe (you just need to plug up the drain hole), pretty cheap, and they look nice.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #532 
Aluyasha
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Aluyasha, I use old mugs that have withstood the test of several years of use and washing with little to no fading. Also, scratch at the colored areas, if anything rubs off onto your nail, don't put it in. You can also use terra cotta pots, those are perfectly safe (you just need to plug up the drain hole), pretty cheap, and they look nice.
I heard the terra cotta pots were hard to clean (when you first buy them). Do I just boil them for a little?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #533 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
I've never heard that, but then again I use older pots that just lie around in the garage. I don't think you should boil them. A good soak in warm water and a slight scrub down will work.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #534 
BettaHeart
Member
 
BettaHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, B.C. Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Ifeed her quickly, preferably before she jumps XD... Unfortunately I'm not sure what else you can do apart from be quicker. I guess maybe if you scooped her up in a cup for feeding time that'd lessen her liability to jump? I'm not really sure, just play around with her and try and find something that works.

QQ, I was a doofus and left my plants out in dry air for about 2 hours. They are wilty to say the least, and my javafern is bordering on crispy O_o ... now that they're in water, will they make it?
i appreciate the help, if i was as fast as lightening then yeah i guess i wouldnt have a problem lol i will give the separate cup a try. thanks
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #535 
Aluyasha
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I've never heard that, but then again I use older pots that just lie around in the garage. I don't think you should boil them. A good soak in warm water and a slight scrub down will work.
How much are the small-meduim ones like at Walmart, you think?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #536 
BettaHeart
Member
 
BettaHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, B.C. Canada
ok i think my sorority tank is infected with ick. I am not entirely sure what to do, i cant qt each individual girl as only acouple show little white spot all over their bodies and its very prominent on the neons. what do i do?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #537 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
BettaHeart, how large is it? If it's a manageable size, you'll just have to treat the entire tank.
Aluyasha: I'm not really sure, but I doubt they'll be more than a few dollars.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #538 
BettaHeart
Member
 
BettaHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, B.C. Canada
its a 10gal with a filter and heater. I was thinking of taking out all the decos and giving them a good soak in a touch of bleach and very hot water and washing out the entire tank and replacing the filter entirely. hmm....
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #539 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
hmm, IMO that sounds overstocked, which might be partly the reason why they got ich, but probably not. A sorority of 6 is overstocking, so if you have a number around that of girls plus a group of neons, you have to do pretty large weekly water changes (if your tank is cycled) to keep the water quality good.

Well, you have two options. You might want to make a thread in the disease and emergency subforum, seeing as others might have better input.

1: heat the tank to about 86*F, and salt it with 1 tsp of aq salt per gallon. You can probably go a bit over the 10 day mark (only a bit though) if you think those extra days will help. Along with that, you'll have to do daily water changes/gravel vaccs.

2: You could go with something like tetra ich guard, which is 8 fizzle tabs which each treat 10 gallons. You'll treat with that, doing water changes with gravel vaccs daily for 3 days past the day that you don't see any ich on them

Last edited by JKfish; 01-22-2011 at 07:06 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #540 
BettaHeart
Member
 
BettaHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kamloops, B.C. Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
hmm, IMO that sounds overstocked, which might be partly the reason why they got ich, but probably not. A sorority of 6 is overstocking, so if you have a number around that of girls plus a group of neons, you have to do pretty large weekly water changes (if your tank is cycled) to keep the water quality good.

Well, you have two options. You might want to make a thread in the disease and emergency subforum, seeing as others might have better input.

1: heat the tank to about 86*F, and salt it with 1 tsp of aq salt per gallon. You can probably go a bit over the 10 day mark (only a bit though) if you think those extra days will help. Along with that, you'll have to do daily water changes/gravel vaccs.

2: You could go with something like tetra ich guard, which is 8 fizzle tabs which each treat 10 gallons. You'll treat with that, doing water changes with gravel vaccs daily for 3 days past the day that you don't see any ich on them

true but then thats the thing is i was doing large water changes to begin with, and there are 7 girls and 4 neons but looking it will b down to two with how they are looking, the neons i mean. I think i will go with the first option since i am nearly there anyways lol thank you for the help
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question CodeRed Betta Fish Care 10 07-30-2009 02:23 PM
Quick question. IonBaller07 Betta Fish Care 21 06-21-2009 04:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.