Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #551 
enahs

What are the best types of bottom feeders to put in a 10 gallon tank with a male betta?
enahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #552 
JKfish

cories or shrimp are typically good, though they won't just survive off of whatever your betta eats, you'll have to buy food for them as well (you can simply sink extra fish flakes down to the shrimps) :) Cories have sensitive barbels, so you'll want to make sure you have sand or soft substrate in your tank if you get them. Shrimps are a bit sensitive and hard to catch, so one they're in, they're pretty much in for good. Both are sensitive to water changes, so make sure your tank is cycled.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #553 
bahamut285

Oops I forgot...

Thanks for your reply JKFish, maybe I'll go get a marimo tomorrow if I have time :) they look so cute! XD...and maybe a shrimp if they have any nice ones
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #554 
BettaHeart

Quick question about females, nearly all the females i have excluding Tempest have never bred and was wondering would it cause them any problems?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #555 
JKfish

Nope, not breeding won't affect their health at all.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #556 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Nope, not breeding won't affect their health at all.
ok, so they can grow to be spinsters lol thanks for the info
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #557 
Canuck Fins

Dumb question 600000002.....

I let my water sit overnight because I want to do a water change today (suspect the pH is too high - light purple on the test). l think the water is colder than it was last night. If I had a fish, I think I'd kill it with the temperature shock. (The warm taps in my house have a pH of about 8.8. The cold drinking tap has a pH of about 7.4.) Do I have to buy a heater to put in the water that is gassing? (I am assuming my high pH is why my tank won't cycle and I tried to ask about that in another thread quite unsuccessfully.)

(I'm sorry I have so many dumb questions. I never imagined that it would be so damn impossible to make this work. I wanted to have a cycled, planted tank, but every day I'm wondering if this will ever work.)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #558 
JKfish

Well, I don't think you would kill him or her persay.... When adding cooler water, I just pour portions in at a time. Houses are heated, so it's not like the temps are going to be too drastic of a change.

:( Sorry you're having such issues. I'm curious, do you already have plants in there?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #559 
Canuck Fins

Thanks, JK. I don't have a fish or plants yet. I was under the impression if I put plants in before it cycled, they would be an ammonia sink and slow the nitrites from appearing. That said, my nitrites are the most sluggish ones and really could not be slower. I'm going to do a big water change and give it another try. :(
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #560 
JKfish

I say get a good ammount of plants, and plant well. If they are fast growing, they'll get rid of ammonia relatively quickly, and will almost act like a back up cycle until your tank naturally and slowly cycles. Once your fish is in there, keep an eye on the parameters, testing daily, and doing smallish water changes as you notice the ammonia above .25 or any nitrites at all. I'm guessing if you're only having a male betta in there with a bunch of fast growing plants, you might not need to do more than a 50% water change weekly, if that.