Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #561 
Aluyasha

I have kind of a moral question that I would like your opinions on.
I was thinking about getting another Betta, and we only have room in our house right now for a 1 gallon, it would be filtered and heated.
I know some people on here have 1 gallon tanks but I was wondering before I bought it if it was an acceptable tank? I would clean it and do waer changes like I am supposed to for that size of tank so no worries about that.
Thanks.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #562 
cjayBetta

In my personal opinion, I think it would be fine as long as he is taken care of properly. If you think about how some other betta's are treated that would be heaven for them. On top of that they are shipped in bags to the pet store then forced to live in tiny cups until someone buys them and then most of the time they get stuck in 1/2 gallon tanks with pointy plants or even less then a 1/2 sometimes.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #563 
Lion Mom

I have a quick question. Is a female betta ok in a tank by herself? Kept like a male? Thanks!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #564 
Betta Slave

Yep, that'd be fine.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #565 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Yep, that'd be fine.
Ok - thanks much!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #566 
bahamut285

I have a moral question as well~

My cousin dumped his betta at my grandma's house for several years now, and he's in a little tiny bowl with no heater, but he's in the warmest part of the house. My grandma diligently changes his water really often.

I know he's old (about 4-6 years probably) and he's looking a little tattered and listless. Do you think it would be worth spending around $70+ on him (5G tank with filter plus a heater)? Or do you think he will die soon and it would be a waste of money? :(

I'm not for sure going to take him off my grandma (I live 1 hour away) unless I have overwhelming reason to. I also think he might have finrot, SBD (or even worse, dropsy, he's very un-noticeably pineconey, I might be misdiagnosing) or maybe he's just REALLY REALLY old.

What do you think I should do? I *can* afford it if I *really* wanted to, but like most people I don't want to spend unnecessary money =/
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #567 
JKfish

Well, do what you want. That's something you have to decide for yourself. Set ups that are high quality can honestly last many, many years, so if you buy a proper set up and he lives the rest of his life in comfort, once he passes you can clean the tank and if your grandma wants, she can get another betta. If she doesn't want any more fish, then you might not want to, but if she really does want more bettas after that then the set up would be worth it IMO,
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #568 
Canuck Fins

Okay, I bought plants (2 java ferns, a hornwort and a wisteria plant). They're in a bag with some water from Petsmart. Two questions: do I need to rinse them before they go into my tank (no fish/not yet cycling)? do these plants need to be stuck in the gravel or do they float? :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #569 
bahamut285

@JKFish: Thanks for your input, my grandma actually only took it in literally because my cousin dumped it at her house and she didn't really have a choice. Sadly I didn't get into betta's until recently, so he's been at my grandma's for a long time. She's taking good care of him until he passes, which she believes should be sometime soon :(

I unfortunately have no space in my apartment...we have so little electrical plugs it's ridiculous. Every plug at my place has either a splitter or power bar >_<
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #570 
Lion Mom

I don't know, but maybe a change in his living conditions might be too stressful at his age. Just thinking......