Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #581 
bahamut285

Another question, I actually posted this question in the "pics of betta's homes" thread by mistake but I was wondering:

I see a lot of people on this forum using those 1.5 Gal Tetra tanks (Google images: http://supershopsite.com/product_ima...-aquar1559.jpg). Are they...okay? A lot of people's betta's look very happy in them, but I just want to make sure!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #582 
JKfish

Well, techinically all a betta needs is the proper temperatures, clean water, and enough room.

If they are willing to do the required water changes (3-5 50% and 1 100% water changes a week), and they have a heater or something in there to keep the temps steady, then the bettas should be fine. They're large enough for there to be room, and there's always outside stimuli to keep the bettas interested.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #583 
iDed

i have a quick question:

i picked up a betta today along with a 1 gal tank and filter (should of got the 2.5 gal but i didnt do my research beforehand) and I was looking into getting a live plant.

I've heard a lot of good things about java ferns but i also heard marimo balls were pretty nifty as well. would a 1 gal tank be too small for both plants? and if i can only go with one, which would be more beneficial for my fish?
iDed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #584 
cjayBetta

My new Betta isnt eating... I tried giving him flakes and pellets (cut in half cuz he is little) he took them in his mouth and spat them out. What should I do?
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #585 
Canuck Fins

iDed, I'm not sure about the size of your tank for 2 plants, but someone else will know.

cJayBetta, give your fish some time. They can go a while without eating. Give him time and remove uneaten food. Then try again next feeding time. It sometimes takes a while for them to settle in a new place.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #586 
Betta Slave

Does anyone know how long it will take to treat internal parasites (tapeworms, I believe- stringy white/translucent poop, etc.) with Prazi-Pro (Praziquantel), Aquarium salt, pellets soaked in garlic juice, and possibly some Jungle Anti-parasite tabs?
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #587 
JKfish

Ided: welcome to the forum ^-^
IMO they're both good, though I think marimo balls might do a slightly better job of keeping the tank slightly cleaner (though you'll still have to do 3-4 50% water changes and a 100% water change a week).

CJay: try soaking them completely in either water or garlic juice before feeding, that'll make them soft, easier to eat, and less likely to constipate him (and if you use garlic juice, you've got added protection against internal parasites.) If he doesn't eat them, just do what Canuck says

bettaslave: another parasity betta? Sheesh, no offence, but IMO you must have terrible luck with parasites .... though you definately know how to treat them XD. to answer your question, I have no idea, though are you sure mixing two different parasitic treatments is alright?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #588 
Betta Slave

Pff, none taken XD I think it should take around 1-2 months, but I'm just checking... I'm more familiar with gill parasites though.

And yes, I asked a breeder about what she does to get rid of them (not on this forum, near my city though) and she said that's what she uses, it does no harm to her bettas, and they turn out fine.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 01-30-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #589 
bahamut285

@JKFish: Oooh okay thanks for the info! So a waterchange schedule would be something like: Tuesday, Thursday Saturday; 50% water change and Sunday 100%?

Also does that give them a lot of stress? I know Bobo doesn't really like it when I cup him to vacuum... sorry for bombarding questions @_@

@Betta Slave: I'm no expert, but when my goldfish caught ich from me adding another one, The Ich medicine I used had VERY specific directions on how to use it. It said to use one package per 10Gal every 48 hours until it's all gone. I think I only used 2 packages before all the ich died. It also said on the package that I had to treat the tank (so no moving them to a QT) because of the 3 stage life cycle of ich.

I hope your fishy gets well soon! <33
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #590 
JKfish

Bahamut and iDed: Sorry, I read iDed's post wrong, lol, I thought it said he had a 2.5 gallon tank. In a one gallon, he really should be doing a 100% anywhere from 3 times a week to every other day.