Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #591 
bahamut285

@JKFish: Hahaha no worries...now I'm contemplating if I should start up my 2.5 lying around...but I think it's cursed T__T

@iDed: I have a Marimo ball in my Betta tank and it works like a dream. I was considering making a huge post about how amazing they are haha. To be fair though, I have not owned any Java Ferns, so I can't make a fair comparison.

As an experiment, I chucked my marimo into my Goldfish tank (they do well in both cold and tropical temps according to that info thingy at the petsmart tanks; from 68-82!) just to see what happens XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #592 
JKfish

Bahamut, cursed? Pha, there is no such thing. If you've had issues keeping fish in there, it's possible there might be something nasty lingering in there, but nothing a good bleach solution soak shouldn't fix. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #593 
refjaf55

I came across this site that says they have the secrets to bettas
Is this legit or a scam? http://tinyurl.com/Bettasecrets
it looks a little like a scam but i really need help keeping them alive so i think i am going to buy the ebook. What do you all think?
refjaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #594 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Bahamut, cursed? Pha, there is no such thing. If you've had issues keeping fish in there, it's possible there might be something nasty lingering in there, but nothing a good bleach solution soak shouldn't fix. :)
Cleaning out my tanks to start over and reseal everything.
Wondering what the proper amount of bleach is for a bleach solution and how long to let the tanks sit afterwards before filling with plants etc.
I've heard vinegar is another good way to clean it, but I really don't know how much to use.
I don't want to use to much of anything or not enough of anything.
If anyone has a ratio or anything that'll help that'd be great!
Also:

""I came across this site that says they have the secrets to bettas
it looks a little like a scam but i really need help keeping them alive so i think i am going to buy the ebook. What do you all think?""

To this I'll respond: Simple. Ask experienced users on here your questions. Start a thread with a question or post a question you have on this thread. The only way to learn is by asking questions and trial and error in things like this.
There's no better place to ask questions about bettas than this forum. The book will probably try to scam you into buying more silly products for them, at least thats what a ton of sites that look like this do. Trust your gut, if it looks like a scam to you don't buy in. :) We're all here to help you out. Hundreds and hundreds of users strong, and still going. You'll get the hang of this in no time. Just be patient, ask questions and do the research before you take on the responsibility of another fish. :)

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 01-30-2011 at 02:19 PM.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #595 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by refjaf55 View Post
I came across this site that says they have the secrets to bettas
it looks a little like a scam but i really need help keeping them alive so i think i am going to buy the ebook. What do you all think?
IMO it sounds like it'll tell you the same thing we will tell you for free. If you need help, mAke a thread in the betta care section. Explain your tank size, water change schedule, heating, feeding, etc, and ask if anyone has advise. If there is something wrong with your betta fish husbandry, people will definitely give advise.

Lucyloofa. Vinegar is used the same way you use bleach. I know there technically is a ratio, but I just pour until there is a faint odor of bleach. I stick all ornaments in there and then I put the filter in and let it run for 24 hours. After that, I do a lot of hot water rinses and to top it off fill it all up with just hot water and let it run for a good hour or so before dumping it out and then setting up the tank for cycling.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-30-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #596 
LolaQuigs

Is it safe to decorate with silk plants from a craft store, or should I stick to plants made specifically for aquariums?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #597 
JKfish

They should be fine... However stick it in a bucket to soak for a day so you can make sure it won't leach color into the water. Double check for metal sticking out that could rust.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #598 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
IMO it sounds like it'll tell you the same thing we will tell you for free. If you need help, mAke a thread in the betta care section. Explain your tank size, water change schedule, heating, feeding, etc, and ask if anyone has advise. If there is something wrong with your betta fish husbandry, people will definitely give advise.

Lucyloofa. Vinegar is used the same way you use bleach. I know there technically is a ratio, but I just pour until there is a faint odor of bleach. I stick all ornaments in there and then I put the filter in and let it run for 24 hours. After that, I do a lot of hot water rinses and to top it off fill it all up with just hot water and let it run for a good hour or so before dumping it out and then setting up the tank for cycling.
If I run the filter should I keep all sponges etc out? My gut says yes because the bleach could linger in the filter sponge for aaaaagggggessss. I see the benefit of also cleaning the filter though, and have not heard it mentioned before. That is superb advice. :) thank you.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #599 
bloo97

Quote:
That.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #600 
bahamut285

@JKFish: lolol I'm serious! I first used that tank for my two goldfish when I didn't know any better. I had to clean it almost all of the time. Unfortunately they died from stunting/various issues so my two NEW goldfish were only in there for a year tops, with even more diligent cleaning. My goldfishes are now in a bigger tank, and so the 2.5 has been cleaned and sitting in the sun for 6 months until I got Shimmoo, my first betta, and he died in 10 days :(...I'm a little apprehensive to put another fish in there T_T. It's once again bleaching itself in the sun.

On another note, I think there is a protein film in patches in Bobo's tank fffffffffffffffff *scoops them out*
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote