Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #71 
CayennePepper

Mine doesn't...
CayennePepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #72 
JKfish

I hate to push, but can someone answer my question? I'm actually setting up the tank right now, and I don't want to put the ricebowls in until someone can help me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I got two red plastic rice bowls for my tank I'm setting up, and it seems like the gold designs are painted on... I was able to scratch some gold residue off, and onto my fingernail when I was trying to figure out if the gold was paint or not. If I put those in the tank, would the paint flake off and kill my fish?
thanks
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #73 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
Yes, it would be a good idea to rinse the tank, filter (if you end up getting one), heater, gravel, and decorations beforehand, to get rid of dust particles.

If you're getting a filter and will be doing the fishless cycle, then you will need to have the filter running in the tank without the fish for about a month.

If you opt to add the fish right away, then you will need to acclimate him to the water by floating his cup in the tank while gradually replacing the water in the cup with the water from the tank (about every 15 minutes). After that, all he needs is a heater set to about 78 F, 3-4 pre-soaked pellets per day, and clean water (i.e. frequent 100% water changes for an uncycled tank). You don't need to feed him at all over the weekends.

If your principal won't allow the filter to be plugged in overnight and you would rather not have to do frequent 100% water changes, then you may want to consider setting up an "el natural" style planted tank, using potted soil as a substrate and filling half of the tank with low-maintenance plants such as java ferns, Amazon Swords, Anubias, and hornwort. Here's a step-by-step guide for a planted tank that someone did for her office:

http://thegab.org/Plants/step-by-ste...nted-tank.html

^ I think this would be more educational and the fish would have more fun with real plants.

I don't see a way around not having a heater plugged in overnight though. Insulating the tank overnight/weekends with a styrofoam box, newspapers and a heat pack might be an option but the heat packs would end up being costly.

By the way, here is a link for the cheapest water testing kit:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshwater...c-Pets/3635493

Oh, and one last thing - I think you should advise the cleaning staff to not touch the aquarium. Not to change the water, feed the fish, and especially not to clean the aquarium with Windex.

Good luck to you! Your students are lucky... I once had a fun and effective teacher who let us keep tadpoles in the classroom and it was a great experience for a kid who wasn't allowed any pets at home.

You are way too nice! Every single one of her posts on this thread confused the heck out of me. I had no idea her initial post was sarcastic either.
*blush* thanks! <="] People at work say that too. XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #74 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I hate to push, but can someone answer my question? I'm actually setting up the tank right now, and I don't want to put the ricebowls in until someone can help me...

thanks
Yep that's actually a major test: the scratch test

if any paint scratches of it'll come off in the aquarium and might poison your fish.

I'd go with ceramic rice bowls as they're generally ok to use since they're usually glazed. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #75 
JKfish

Thanks WallyWest~

New question, Can I set a set fully submersible heater onto the gravel, and let lit lay there, or is suction-cupping it to the glass wall necessary?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #76 
1fish2fish

You don't have to suction cup it but I've heard they don't work as well if they lie horizontally.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #77 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
You don't have to suction cup it but I've heard they don't work as well if they lie horizontally.

REALLY? I have never heard that. Most of mine are placed in a horizontal position & I've never had any problems.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #78 
1fish2fish

Its something about even distribution of the heat. Not the heater itself but how well it actually gets the job done. If its on the bottom you'll get colder spots at the top I'm guessing. Though, if you put it horizontally on the bottom directly under a filter in-take then I guess the heat would be somewhat more evenly distributed.

The easiest way to get an even heat distribution would be to put the heater vertically in the center of the tank.

That's not to say if you put the heater horizontally that it will not heat, you just may have more cold spots.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #79 
Lion Mom

Interesting. I have two reasons for putting mine that way.

One, I DO put it near the filter intake so it can more easily distribute the heat and, second, with it near the bottom (heat rises) I don't have to worry about it being out of water during water changes.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #80 
1fish2fish

That's a good idea. I just unplug mine while doing changes. There are some heaters that turn off automatically if the water level goes down to a certain point. Most of my tanks are divided so there would be no way I could put the heater horizontally. My sorority is so heavily planted that I have virtually no floor space to lay the heater that way.