Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #821 
JKfish

keep testing water parameters for a few weeks until you can see a pattern. With live plants, probably only something like 25% a week, though you never know.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #822 
Canuck Fins

Okay, at the risk of looking paranoid I'm going to ask. My fish was pretty active this morning. I fed him for the first time (flakes because that's what the fish store had, but will go to the other store to get pellets). That was fine. The last while he's been sitting near the bottom of the tank. He has moved spots a couple of times, but he's not active. Flakes do have fish as first ingredients. (I did test water parameters last night just to get initial reading adn they were fine.) Is he just acclimatizing still to the new space?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #823 
JKfish

He might still be getting used to his home, don't worry about it. However, you are the one who is actually there with him, so also follow your gut.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #824 
Lion Mom

I notice with mine that they seem to "nap" (if you want to call it that) in the afternoon and aren't nearly as active mid-day. Maybe it's just my "kids", but......
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #825 
Canuck Fins

Thanks for the answers both of you. I've turned off his light for a little while in case it's just him acclimatizing. I don't want to stress him out.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #826 
bahamut285

Hello~

I have two questions out of curiosity:

1) If your tank has a light, how long are you supposed to turn it on per day?

2) All water conditioners have a dosage, is it bad to put too much? Is it (probably) bad to put too little?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #827 
Canuck Fins

Well, my fish was dead in his castle this morning. I don't know why he died. I checked the tank last night and parameters were good (ammonia and nitrites at zero, nitrates at 5). Temp has been in the happy zone. He didn't have any visible fungus. All I know is he was really active Saturday and Sunday he was hanging out a lot at the bottom of the tank, but would come up occasionally. He never had any stress stripes or anything. I'm quite upset.

Question: Can I get another fish and put it in or do I need to clean the tank?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #828 
JKfish

bahamut: 9-10 hours is fine, though sometimes I'll go up to 12 hours. I don't think over dosing is bad... unless you dump in the whole entire bottle. Underdosing is probably worse.

Canuck: It sounds like he was sick instead of adjusting. As for cleaning it, I can only think of one possible way to sort of clean it without having to break up the tank and recycle. Try dosing the tank with 3 tsps on epsom salt (per gallon) for 5 or so days, hopefully that will kill off any bugs. Of course, that is just me assuming that since you can dose fish with salt to rid them of illnesses, then surely you can dose a tank with salt to rid it of illnesses as well. Maybe go ask OFL about this.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #829 
Canuck Fins

I did post a thread in the tank section here with more information on the tank. I did test all the parameters after I pulled Scout out. The thought of having to re-cycle is disappointing since it took 3 months to get it to cycle in the first place and the fish died in 2 days. :(
Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #830 
bahamut285

@JK Thanks for your response! I'll try to keep an eye on the light, because I have a timer on my goldfish tank so I don't do anything except adjusting for DST when it happens, and resetting it when there is a power outage.

As for the dosage, I was only wondering because after I was done changing my goldfish tank, I was measuring carefully and my brother decided to scare the living daylights out of me while I was pouring, so I put in about 3-5x normal dosage....I did a 10% water change just in case though X_X

@Canuck: Sorry for your loss, that happened too with my first betta, he died in 11 days even though I kept up with water changes for the un-cycle-able 2G tank :( *big hugs*
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote