Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #861 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Question about females....I don't know if it's just my lps, but all the females are always this brown dirt colour. I saw one cambodian female ONCE but other than her...

Do they produce colours when brought to a loving home? I hated how the lady at the store said: "Oh females aren't as pretty, they're usually brown or dull coloured" :(

They will show their true colors once they are in a better environment
I have four pk females and two hm females, the pk's came from the lps
and were brownish with horizontal stripes except for one, now two are blue-ish with a touch of red, two are light bodied one with light blue fins the other with red and little black lips lol

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  25.8 KB
Name:  004.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  21.9 KB
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #862 
NikiandBeyond

From what I now understand, my betta has turned out to be a rosetail. His fins were short when we got him (possibly had fin rot), so this is the first time they're growing out to their potential. He was labelled as a half moon, and at the time, I didn't know there was such a thing as a rosetail.

With this new information, I did some research, and apparently rosetails are more vulnerable to collapsing fins. I don't understand what that means. How bad is it? I couldn't find any images to try and get a better understanding. Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? What about if it happens?
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #863 
Aluyasha

I have a question about water changes.
How many and how much water changes would I have to do for a 2.5 gallon with no filter?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #864 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
I have a question about water changes.
How many and how much water changes would I have to do for a 2.5 gallon with no filter?
With no filter - one 50% a week and one 100% a week should do it.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #865 
JaspersANGEL

Question: Is a divided tank hard to maintain?
Like how are the water change's?

I wonder if a divided tank is for me, I have barely time to do water change's on the one's I have now, and I am the queen of procrastinator's.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #866 
Canuck Fins

When I do a water change (cycled tank), do I need to rinse the sponge I use to baffle the filter in the old tank water? I know it has diatoms on the surface.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #867 
bahamut285

@BettaHeart, those are the cutest girls I've ever seen!! They look so delicate and ladylike XD! I'm glad they colored up, looks like the girl I choose will have a random colour!! How exciting~ Just got to do a little more research then I'll go find a cute girl <3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #868 
Stardancer

I know you don't need a filter for a small tank (my female, Azura, lives solo in a 1.75), but I feel like I can always see bits of film on the surface or floating in the water, so I'd like to get a small filter.

Challenges: The tank is tiny, so what kind of filter is both small enough for a 1.75 gal. and quality enough to work?

Also, the tank is one of those Marineland goldfish kits (don't ask; the original setup was a rescue) and I'm not sure I can fit a conventional filter in. Thoughts?
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #869 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
When I do a water change (cycled tank), do I need to rinse the sponge I use to baffle the filter in the old tank water? I know it has diatoms on the surface.
I treat my baffling sponges the same way I treat the sponges in the filter (I don't use the carbon cartridges). Rinse them out in the used tank water once or twice a month - more if needed.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #870 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardancer View Post
I know you don't need a filter for a small tank (my female, Azura, lives solo in a 1.75), but I feel like I can always see bits of film on the surface or floating in the water, so I'd like to get a small filter.

Challenges: The tank is tiny, so what kind of filter is both small enough for a 1.75 gal. and quality enough to work?

Also, the tank is one of those Marineland goldfish kits (don't ask; the original setup was a rescue) and I'm not sure I can fit a conventional filter in. Thoughts?
I have several of these filters from this seller on Ebay & they work very well, IMO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2607wt_781

Adjustable & you can use them standing up OR laying down. I don't use all the aerating stuff that comes with, but it's there if ya want it.