Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #891 
NikiandBeyond

I currently have a couple low maintenance plants for my tank. I have had them for months, and they've thrived/survived just fine without light. But I reeeally want floating plants which will need lighting. I'll take my tank lid off and clamp this lamp to my nearby windowsill.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gooseneck-...White/13285330

It's a 4.6 gallon tank. What kind of inexpensive bulb and wattage can I get for this lamp? Preferably from Walmart. Thanks!
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #892 
ChelseaLlyn

I think my betta may have fin rot, but I'm not sure. Is is safe to use aquarium salt if it's not fin rot, or should I just wait and see if clean water makes it go away?
ChelseaLlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #893 
JKfish

Nikiandbeyond: a ten watt fluorecent light should be fine, i know there are specific kelvins and what not, but IMO most floating plants will be alright.

Chelsea, IMO, clean water heals all... Just keep up with your water changes so that once he is healed he will stay healthy. Small rips and beginnings of finrot typically heal just fine and quickly in clean water. If you think aquarium salt is necessary, then go ahead and dose 1 tsp per gallon. Treat for up to 10 days.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #894 
gmd1800

My male was sold to me as a Delta, but I've noticed that when he flares, his tail is perhaps one degree off from being a HM. I've read on this forum that there are ways to make a DT (or a Super Delta, which is what I think he is right now) a HM by doing "exercises" with a mirror. Any way I could do this? I don't want him to blow out his fins or anything.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #895 
JKfish

Just have him flare to a mirror for about 3-5 minutes a day, every day. The webbing between his fins will stretch, and he'll become a halfmoon. Some bettas don't seem to react to their reflections, so if you have another male, set their tanks side by side with something to block their views of each other for most of the day. Then, for about 5 minutes a day, take the blocking item away so they can flare for a bit.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #896 
gmd1800

Sounds good. Should I look into investing in a betta exercise mirror, or will a good ol' hand mirror work just as well if it's outside of his tank?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #897 
JKfish

:) I just use a hand mirror and hold it next to the tank, but either one would work.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #898 
phoenix91

I'm new to the world of fish keeping, in fact i haven't even bought my fish yet but i did set up my tank yesterday. i left the fliter and heater running over night and added some of the water conditioner to let it circulate.

I checked the water levels this morning and everything except the alkalinity and ph were in normal levels. How can i reduce the ph and alkalinity in my 3 gallon tank?

also, my water is hard, is this okay or does it need to be softer?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #899 
TwilightNite

I don't know how to help you phoenix91 I am new to to the ph balance and alkalinity and stuff like that.

but here is my question:
My Betta will eat but he eats very little and he has not looked like he's pooped at all but he does not looked constipated or having any trouble swimming down. Is there soothing wrong?
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #900 
GreenTea

I'm treating my small rosetail delta in a 2.5 gallon heated unfiltered tank for SBD, or what I think is SBD. He was very ill in the petstore I bought him. I'm treating him with the 10 day epsom salt treatment. I have three quick questions -

I changed the water once or twice a day, when it starts to look cloudy. Is the epsom salt making it look a little cloudy? He isn't eating so it's not that.

If he looks and seems better (which he does every day, I've had him here for 4 days, treating for 3 days, first day was just normal conditioner and water) do I need to continue epsom salt for the full 10 days? Or should I just switch back to aquarium salt and conditioned water? No, I don't always use aquarium salt but he's just regaining his health so I'd still use it for a few days.

And lastly, today was his first interest in food. He's pretty small so I tried my betta flakes first. He swallowed several, but spit each one out before moving on to the next one and I don't think he consumed anything. I tried pellets next and he didn't respond to those at all. I think they'd be too big for him to eat anyway, but is that normal that he's not eating? Maybe just not used to/loving my flakes or pellets? I have one betta who is not a picky eater and will snarf pellets or flakes, the other will have a pellet every once in awhile but mostly likes flakes, and this new guy hasn't eaten anything. Any ideas on how to help him eat?

I'd appreciate any and all responses, thank you in advance fellow betta lovers!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote