Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #911 
cjayBetta

You need aquarium salt for fin rot... Epsom salt is for when your fish is bloated.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #912 
Melbell

Never mind then. Haha. ^.^
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #913 
Silverfang

Set my Scuzi up in a new 2.65 gal tank, upgrading from something too small, on Saturday, heater, hiding places, the works. Since then he's developed stripes, stress bands I believe they are called, how long do they normally last? He's very active, swimming around and around in circles, in his hiding spot, around the leaves of the new silk plant. He ate when I fed him, and of course is waiting for more, like all piggy lil betas.

His old container was unheated, while this new one is, it's about 75, you do not want to know what it was without the heater. He seems fairly preoccupied with swimming around the heater, is that just him enjoying the warmth?

Sorry if this is kinda rambling, just want to make sure I have everything relevant.

On a different subject, sorta, will the desk lamp about foot away from the aquarium be enough light? There was no light with the kit, just not sure he he'd be happier with bright light or not.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #914 
GienahClarette

Sir Crispin's fins are...not quite curling. But, one or two rays are starting to curl slightly on his dorsal and anal fins. My water is a little hard, but my nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all within 'ideal' parameters. He lives in a 5 gallon with 50% water changes twice a week and 3 ghost shrimps. He holds his fins high and acts like a healthy fish. The tank is live planted with various anubias and sword plants--which he occasionally rests on.

This has been slowly happening over the course of a few weeks. At first, I thought he had just bent one tiny ray by all of the durping he does around the gravel. But, it's starting to spread.

Is there a way I can fix this? Is it even something to worry about?

Edit: And by durping around the gravel, I mean that once or twice a day he kind of wiggles in the smooth river rocks in his tank. I've never seen any injuries or ripped fins. And he seems to get tired of it after about 10 seconds.

Last edited by GienahClarette; 03-28-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Clarification
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #915 
Canuck Fins

Is Sir Crispin a crowntail? I thought I'd read on here somewhere that CTs are likely to have some curling in really hard water, but it didn't seem to be extremely harmful. How long have you had your fish?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #916 
GienahClarette

Sir Crispin is about...5-6 months old. I've had him for almost two months, and he's a halfmoon. Honestly, I'm starting to suspect it's because he keeps resting on rocks with the tips of his fins. =/
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #917 
JaspersANGEL

I have another question?

If I don't have enough time to do a complete water (water change wich I remove all the decor and pass the gravel vac. and rearange the decor back in the tank)..can I just syphon out the water and replace it with fresh water?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #918 
bahamut285

@JaspersANGEL: It should be fine as long as you do a full one sometime soon :), just don't let it be like that for too long!

My Quick Question: Could anybody help me out by giving me prescribed water changes for the following tank sizes? I need to know for both Filtered and Unfiltered!

1G, 2G, 5G, 10G, 20G

bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #919 
JaspersANGEL

Nah.. I'll have time to do a full one tomorrow night, or can I wait till thursday my second water change day in the week?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #920 
bahamut285

Ahh, lol, I'd probably do it tomorrow then instead of waiting until thurs XD!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote