Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #921 
JaspersANGEL

So I should just skip tonight's and go to bed instead? *lol*
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #922 
bahamut285

Normally what I do is, if I am too busy to do a water-change of any amount...

If I can definitely 110% do it tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow.
If I'm not sure, I'll do as much as I can, even if it's something like a 10% water-change, lol

It's totally up to you! XD, have a good sleep LOL
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #923 
JaspersANGEL

Thankx, no I can def. do it tomorrow.. I just wanna make sure that they wont up and die on me *lol*!

We are going through cutback's at work and time and schedual change's, I need to reagange my water change schedual!

Thank'x for all ur help!!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #924 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
marineland is an awesome brand, and depending on the size of tank/heater, you should be able to adjust the heat. I personally recommend keeping them at a minimum of 78* F, the heater (if good quality) will keep it that temperature pretty much constantly with little to no fluctuation. Get a little floaty glass thermometer for like one dollar at walmart to help monitor the tank temps.
Thanks for the info.

So i switched my old heater (well, it's one week one) to a marineland suitable for up to a 3 gallon tank. Before i replaced the old heater the temp was around 73 (yes, i know that's too low, but my house heating system is on the blink and the heater i had was only heating to probably 8 above ambient temp). So i switched it to the marineland one and i watched it for about 15 minutes to make sure it wasn't going to explode or leak or i don't know, electrocute the little guy then i headed back to work for the day feeling happier that he'd be warmer.

I got home and checked on him and the stupid heater either isn't working well or has no idea what temp it's supposed to be set at. The box says it sets to 78 and it was at 70. I brought in my fan heater and left that running in the room for a while and now it's back up to around 73-74ish. (sorry for the heater rant, there is actually a question in here somewhere)

So my question: Should i take the new heater back when i take the old one back and get a refund on both and get a new one i can actually set myself or should i give the marineland a chance to do it's thing? i think after having a day to heat a 3 gallon tank it should have done it's job but didn't.

I do have plans to move him upstairs to my room where it will hopefully be warmer, i bought a shelf today and am getting it up on the wall probably tomorrow.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #925 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
My Quick Question: Could anybody help me out by giving me prescribed water changes for the following tank sizes? I need to know for both Filtered and Unfiltered!

1G, 2G, 5G, 10G, 20G

Sorry, just bumping my question >_>
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #926 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang
On a different subject, sorta, will the desk lamp about foot away from the aquarium be enough light? There was no light with the kit, just not sure he he'd be happier with bright light or not.
It'll be enough light, if you think it is too light, you can move your tank slightly further away. I might add that your temp really ought to be 78... if you can get it there, I HIGHLY reccomend doing so~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut
My Quick Question: Could anybody help me out by giving me prescribed water changes for the following tank sizes? I need to know for both Filtered and Unfiltered!

1G, 2G, 5G, 10G, 20G
1 gallon: 100% every other day. Because it is so small, even if it has a filter and is cycled, it's too small for a steady cycle... so better safe than sorry.

2 gallon: 50% 2-3 times a week and one 100% once a week as well (gravel vacc recommended). This applies for both filtered and unfiltered, see above for an explanation.

5 gallon: if it is cycled with a filter, then one 50% once a week ought to be enough, though if you have shrimps or snails in there as well, I'd maybe do another 25% sometime else during the week. Unfiltered tank will be something like 3 50% a week with one 100% every other week.... I think. If you have a water test kit, test every day and go by what that seems to say. (param apart from nitrAtes need to be less than .25 ppm)

10 gallon: cycled/filtered would be about 25% once a week with just one betta. If you have other livestock in there, I'd just be on the safe side and do 50% a week. In a non filtered tank, I think 50% twice a week with a 100% every other week would be enough, but still water testers will probably tell you better than I can.

20 gallon: I'm going to assume this will be a cycled tank. Doing 100% on something this size seems like too much work. In general, with cycled tanks (5 gallons and up) , 50% water changes once a week is the way to go.

As I said before, I guesstimated for the unfiltered/cycled 5 and 10 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix
So my question: Should i take the new heater back when i take the old one back and get a refund on both and get a new one i can actually set myself or should i give the marineland a chance to do it's thing? i think after having a day to heat a 3 gallon tank it should have done it's job but didn't.
I'd say give it a bit of time, and if by tomorrow it isn't working up to par, return it. The issue with preset heaters is that they can be a bit iffy at times. Try returning it for a new one, and see if that one will work better.

Last edited by JKfish; 03-28-2011 at 10:02 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #927 
bahamut285

@JKFish: Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #928 
Silverfang

thanks jkfish, I have a heater in the container, it's steady about 75
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #929 
Canuck Fins

Tonight before supper I was checking on our fish and I thought he looked a bit pale on his head and a little stripey (horizontally) down his side. Odd. I thought maybe my kids were being too loud and thumping around and scared him. So I turned out the light over his tank for about half an hour and he's not stripey now. But the scales on his head are looking a bit dull. He does have more pink on his fins than he had 2.5 weeks ago when I got him, but that's not new today. Should I be concerned he looks a bit different on his head colourwise? He's still swimming around like normal.

(Tanks tests zero for ammonia, zero for nitrites and nitrates are about 5. Plants are good. Tank is heated at 80*. Prime. 5G with last water change on Sunday/about 30%. All that good stuff.)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #930 
Canuck Fins

Okay, he must've been startled or something because he looks back to normal now. My poor little guy!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote