Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #931 
cesitlie95

1) Is it ok to use flash on a betta fish's eyes? Will it hurt them or anything?
2) I got a small female from my LFS today and I tried feeding her Hikari betta pellets but she spit it out. Do you think it was too big for her to swallow? They are about the size of this circle --> o Or is she just not hungry and still adjusting to her new home? I will try refeeding her in the morning.
cesitlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #932 
Canuck Fins

I don't know about the flash, but it's not uncommon for a betta to not eat for the first day or few until they are settled. After that, most of them are little piggies who will look at you like they are starved even after feeding. ;)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #933 
Tisia

I'd think that it could stress them a bit if you did it too much, but not really sure
my boy wouldn't even touch full size pellets, tried cutting one in half and he just spit it out a few times then gave up, now I crush them for him and he just gobbles it down. so it could be just the size
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #934 
Silverfang

my boy won't touch pellets, whole, or crushed, he bites, chews a few times then spits it out and swims away, flakes he noms in a frenzy that would impress a shark
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #935 
Dontpanic

What are usually the causes of clamped fins? They were all right before and temp and water are all fine, but now he has his tail all clamped up.
Dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #936 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontpanic View Post
What are usually the causes of clamped fins? They were all right before and temp and water are all fine, but now he has his tail all clamped up.
Alright before what? Did you do a water change or add something to the tank?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #937 
Dontpanic

Nope, I meant before I put him in the tank. I put him in a cycled 5 gallon tank and his fins were fine for a day or two. I only have water conditioner and liquid plant fertilizer in the water and it's the same way for all my other tanks. The temp. is at 79 F and I have no idea whats wrong! D: Ty for helping me.

Edit: I also added a few dried oak leaves about a week after his tail clamped up, but he's just resting on them now.

Last edited by Dontpanic; 03-30-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #938 
cesitlie95

It's the second day and she still hasn't taken to the pellets. I even crushed them up. Maybe I'll need to get a different brand of food for her.. i gave her some freeze dried bloodworms and she gobbled it up but I know she can't live on them alone
cesitlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #939 
Irish Dancing Man

Try flakes. My females will only eat flakes no pellets.......

My quick question: In a 3 gal and a 2.5 gal with airstones are 2 weekly 80%-90% water changes enough??

Last edited by Irish Dancing Man; 03-30-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Had to add the word "water"
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #940 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
Try flakes. My females will only eat flakes no pellets.......

My quick question: In a 3 gal and a 2.5 gal with airstones are 2 weekly 80%-90% water changes enough??
Airstones don't help with cycling tanks, so you must treat them like uncycled and unfiltered tanks. You could do about 2 50% and one 100% a week for both. 100% water changes are necessary to completely remove all traces of ammonia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesitlie95 View Post
1) Is it ok to use flash on a betta fish's eyes? Will it hurt them or anything?
2) I got a small female from my LFS today and I tried feeding her Hikari betta pellets but she spit it out. Do you think it was too big for her to swallow? They are about the size of this circle --> o Or is she just not hungry and still adjusting to her new home? I will try refeeding her in the morning.
1) make sure you don't shine it directly in her eyes, they don't have eyelids so the bright light might hurt.
2) Give her time. Tux took a while to start eating his pellets. Keep offering them, and eventually she will eat, no betta is going to willingly starve herself to death... Personally, I'd feed pellets over flakes because they tend to be less mess and more nutritious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontpanic View Post
Stress or illness can cause clamped fins. Does he have somewhere to hide?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote