Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #941 
Dontpanic

Quote:
Stress or illness can cause clamped fins. Does he have somewhere to hide?
Not really, but it's gotten worse... Could you help me over at this thread? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66631
Dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #942 
Canuck Fins

My fish flared a bit when we first brought him home three weeks ago. He would flare at the back of the tank where the filter is. I haven't seen him flare in quite a while so I don't know if he does anymore. Does it matter if he doesn't?

(I put a mirror near his tank twice and I won't do it again because 10 seconds with the mirror there, he get scared, fades a bit in colour and retreats to the back of the tank.)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #943 
JKfish

I doubt is matters. I know tux did that for about two weeks after I got him. Whenever he passed by the filter, he'd pause to flare at it before moving on, now he just ignores it XD
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #944 
Micrathena

Hi. First, I'd like to say thanks to the Betta Gurus who answer questions for us noobs.

I bought a male crowntail a few months ago and thought what many others did, that I could just put him in a tiny container and watch him be pretty. I started feeling sorry for him because he rarely moved.

I found this website, got some advice. Today, I put Amaziah in his new 2g tank with a heater and filter. There are large gravel and plastic plants.

I have two concerns. One is that the temperature is staying at 86F. I bought a cheap heater that is not adjustable. Is this too warm?

I put him in the tank over an hour ago and he has been swimming constantly. Even when he is "still", he is rapidly moving his gills. Is this just because he is getting used to having moving water from the filter, or is he happy, or is he freaked out? A few times I have noticed that he goes next to the filter, like he might be leaning against it. Is he doing this to rest?

I never thought I would get attached to a fish, but now I care for this little life and do want him to be safe and happy. I want to be a good betta mommy. :)
Micrathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #945 
Canuck Fins

That is a little warmer than you want. 76 to 82* is optimal. I think 86* is too warm, but I don't know how that would affect your little guy.

He is likely adjusting yet and he'll love the extra space. Just make sure he does have somewhere to hide. If the filter is too strong and creates too much of a current, you can baffle it to make it less. I have a sponge attached with an elastic on the front of my filter, but you can also find instructions on here how to baffle using a plastic pop bottle.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #946 
FlareThis
Banned

86 is at the high end of the acceptable temperature range for bettas, did you properly acclimate him to the temperature before putting him in the tank?
FlareThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #947 
JaspersANGEL

Another question! Sorry I'm really paranoid!

The foam cartridge in Tex's tank look's like this:

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  48.2 KB

Is that healthy for him ( I think it's healthy for him), but is it healthy for me?

Should I change it?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #948 
Micrathena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
That is a little warmer than you want. 76 to 82* is optimal. I think 86* is too warm, but I don't know how that would affect your little guy.

He is likely adjusting yet and he'll love the extra space. Just make sure he does have somewhere to hide. If the filter is too strong and creates too much of a current, you can baffle it to make it less. I have a sponge attached with an elastic on the front of my filter, but you can also find instructions on here how to baffle using a plastic pop bottle.
Thank you for you response. I am using the filter that came with the tank, but I will look into slowing it down.

Are the plants adequate hiding places? Or does he need a place that will be a complete hiding place like a cave?

Last edited by Micrathena; 03-31-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #949 
Micrathena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareThis View Post
86 is at the high end of the acceptable temperature range for bettas, did you properly acclimate him to the temperature before putting him in the tank?
No, I didn't properly acclimate him. The good news is that the temp is coming down. It is staying around 82F now.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #950 
Micrathena

Ok, until I can give little Amaziah a better hiding place, I have given him a small coffee cup turned on its side with gravel in it. I put a plant right in front.

The temp is still at 82F.

I am so excited. He looks so much more beautiful in a larger tank. Before I never could see his crowntail because he was cramped and was rarely swimming. Now that he is active his tail is vibrant and flowing. I can finally see his crown!