Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #961 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's a relief.
I thought this was part of the problem I've been having lately.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #962 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesitlie95 View Post
I'm sorry.. I have yet another question!
So what flakes can bettas eat? just ones made for tropical fish? thanks in advance! :D
I had flakes that were betta flakes, but the downside is that they sink and are messier. Since I changed to pellets, my betta is much more active. The pellets float and I find it easier to consistently feed the same amount. As far as fish food, with flakes or pelletsm you want to make sure the first ingredients are fish or fish meal, not grains.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #963 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
So I'm not too sure about Bobo being a tailbiter now...I posted in the health thread about possible finrot. The ends of his fins have always been blackish, but now they're frayed, also if you look through the tail fin in the light, it appears to be (starting from his body): Red --> pink --> very thin --> black tips

The black tips are not really a straight line or in any pattern, some are lines, some are black dots (like when people have scabs). They're not as ripped up as before, though. The very thin areas appear to be creeping up the tail... I've got a 0.5 gal QT ready as soon as somebody else can confirm or redirect me in case I'm mistaken.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had previously stepped up his water changes because I was told to keep the tank as clean as possible to keep it from developing too suddenly...

I would take pictures but trying to get a picture of Bobo is like getting a picture of ninjas, he moves too much and too fast to ever get a clear shot. He also doesn't stay still while flaring, he does a wiggle dance as well so 99% of his pictures are just a red blur :(
Clean water is definitely a key. I wish I had an answer for you, but I'll quote to make sure your post doesn't get lost on the last page.

My fish lives up to his name too. Definitely speedy.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #964 
bahamut285

@Canuck Fins: Thanks for the bump :) <3 I'm definitely keeping up on his water changes in hopes that he'll heal up, he's actually busy making an enormous nest right now O________O
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #965 
bahamut285

I have another question! XD

I might be moving to my grandmas house for a month or so, and I don't have anybody to feed my babies so I'm probably bringing them with me.
I've got 3 tanks right now: Goldfish tank, Lin's tank, Bobo's tank....

I was just wondering:
1. Best way to get them to my grandmas (It's a 1 hour drive on a pretty smooth highway)
2. Would it be OK for me to split Bobo's 5 Gal for him and Lin so I don't have to bring her tank along (I'll jiggle around the decorations).

Thanks >_< I don't need this info urgently, as I'm probably going to head out maybe the end of April or something. Also depending on how things go with my job hunt, I may not move at all XD!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #966 
Irish Dancing Man

Put them in bags, you might want to buy a pet traveler heating pack, depending how long your ride is. Empty the tank and refill them when you get their. Put the bags in an enclosed, dark space to reduce stress.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #967 
JKfish

Bahamut, basically bag them and stick them in a box just like if you were going to ship them, use a heatpack if necessary. As for their tanks, empty it of all but a few inches of in each tank. Get your filter media into whatever tubberwares or bags, halfway submerged in water. Once you're done with your drive and have everything set up, expect your tanks to go through a mini cycle... so be sure to keep up with water changes.

Personally, I wouldn't advise dividing tanks between males and females. In small places, phermones build up, and there have been several cases with members who divided their tanks between a male and female where one or the other has jumped to the other side and the fish actually bred....if you must do it, then keep up with water changes, and you might want to up them just slightly.

As for your goldie, how big is he/she and what sized tank is he/she in... I know that larger goldfish will be harder to bag...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #968 
bahamut285

@IDM: Okay thanks! I'll see if I can somehow cover them to keep it nice and dark :D

@JKFish: You both mentioned bags, is there any kind of specific bags? Unfortunately all I have right now is Ziplocs but I can go out to buy something different >_<. Thanks for the tip about the filter media, I would have definitely not thought of that X__X. I assume I would have to put them in old tank water right?

For my goldies, their tank is the 30L biOrb (I think that's 8 Gallons?) and they're both about 2"-3" excluding tails. Plus tails it's 4" and 5". They're really happy in their tank, and I know they don't particularly like being moved... when I do 95% water changes in their tank, I put them in a big bucket and they hate it. I've moved them before just by lowering the water level to half and strapping it tight in the back of my car, they seemed a little rattled but they were okay after a few hours.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #969 
Irish Dancing Man

tropical fish keeping

I know this site is like a section off of tropical fish keeping and all threads here are on tropical Fish keeping. But are tropical Fish Keeping threads on this site?
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #970 
JKfish

bahamut, please don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to get them into about a 40 gallon tank before they become stunted.... for the time being, I hope you are doing something like two 50% and two 100% water changes a week.... As for bags, shipping bags would work. If you have a local petstore nearby, you can bring your fish in to them with clean new water and ask to have them double-bagged like they are when you buy fish from them. Just make sure they rubberband that first bag extremely well.

Irish: No, the tfk posts stay in tfk, and bettafish posts are in bettafish... i think?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote