Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #971 
bahamut285

@JKFish: Thank you for your concern, as I share it, too :(...I'm currently doing 3 water changes a week for them to keep them in top condition, and I test their water everyday in the evenings. I'm going to see if I can somehow find a bigger tank for them >_<. Thanks for your help <33

I have another question, Bobo has made an enormous nest and doesn't do anything except eat, build the nest more and guard it, so he's stationary most of the time...he even sleeps under it. Should I be worried?

Edit: He's been like this for several days now, close to a week X_X
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #972 
margotandfishy

didn't look to see if this had already been asked...is it fine if my bettas can see each other through the divider? they flare at each other every once and awhile. Mostly while I'm feeding them.
margotandfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #973 
JKfish

bahamut: goodwill, craigslist, and petco's annual dollar per gallon sale will be your friends ;) . Anyways, that's perfectly normal, if you think about it, that's all that most wild male bettas do when they reach maturity.

Margotandfishy: it's perfectly fine so long as there are little hides in each side so they can get out of each other's view if they want, and so long as they can't get to each other :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #974 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@bahamut: males making and guarding their bubble nest is normal. Nothing to be worried about. If he stays stationary for no reason, then you should be concerned.

As for moving them; If it's only for a few hour drive - you can use clear plastic bags. Or you can even use a small mineral water bottle - easier to change water or give them fresh air. I usually put that (clear bag or bottle) in a dark bag and hang it some where in the car (to reduce inertia). But they'll be fine placed anywhere as long as you keep them in the dark.

@Margo: IMO it's not good for males to constantly see each other specially in rather small places and without hide outs. Some fish may become stressed. It's better if they remained solitary and only shown other males to exercise them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #975 
bahamut285

@JKFish: Haha yes I've seen a couple of good deals, but it's mainly because I can't fit it into my apartment ^^;; I don't want to come home to flattened furniture or a hole in the floor O_O

@Indjo: Thank you for your reply! I totally forgot about hanging them to reduce inertia, I figured most people would just put them inside a box full of squishy material. It is only exactly 1 hour so it should be okay :)

Also thank you for clearing my mind about Bobo, he's gets pretty grumpy if I go anywhere near his nest (even to feed him lol)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #976 
Silverfang

I think I know the answer, I just want to make sure. Freeze dried bloodworms are for treats only, so once or twice a week? And no more than two at a time?
Also, when you give them bloodworms, nothing else for the day right?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #977 
margotandfishy

@JKfish and indjo: Thanks for the help, I have quite some hiding spots already but I think I'm going to put a plant near the divider just to screen the view some more.

Any good suggestions? I already have an Amazon Sword and Java Fern in my tank. Thanks in advance! :)
margotandfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #978 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Margo: I would use small leaf plants that can be bunched be be thick/bushy like anacharis, cabomba, fox tail, etc. They would see each other less and would have difficulty swimming through the plants.

@Silverf: It's said that freeze dried anything is low of nutrition. Frozen is better. Yes people do advise feeding one or two as treats but I'm not sure whether to feed other foods or not. (I disagree with the amount - so I'll let others advise you)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #979 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
@Margo: I would use small leaf plants that can be bunched be be thick/bushy like anacharis, cabomba, fox tail, etc. They would see each other less and would have difficulty swimming through the plants.
Aquatic wisteria is really nice for a bushy plant.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #980 
lalalaura

I have a quick question:
Two days ago when I fed my new HM male, when he goes to take some food in his mouth he blows a lot of bubbles and doesn't get any food. At first I thought it was funny, but last night he did it again. Bubbles come out of his mouth and it looks like his gills too. What is this? Has anyone experienced it with the bettas before?
I have a small airstone in his 5G and it's on very low, if that even has anything to do with it.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote