Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #1 
fastrack20

New Betta Won't Eat!

Hey everyone,

I mentioned this in another thread but... my girlfriend and I got a betta last monday. First we tried feeding him flakes, then pellets, and finally freeze-dried bloodworms. He won't eat any of it, he doesn't even seem interested. At first we thought it was just stress, but it's been almost a week so we're getting a little concerned.

What should we do?
fastrack20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Have you tried Soaking his Pellets in Garlic?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Call the store where you got him & find out what they were feeding him. It's not uncommon for a betta not to eat at first, but I think almost a week is pushing it.

Good luck with him!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 
fastrack20

As per TheJadeBetta's suggestion, we used some juice from some minced garlic we had in the fridge, soaked his pellets in there for about 2 minutes and tried to feed him. He does not seem to notice that there is food in the tank at all.

Store closed an hour ago so we'll have to call them tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank and how much and how often are the water changes, last water change, water temp and filtration?
I ask because often water quality and water temp can play a role in appetite, I know you have only had him for a week and usually they will show interest in food after a day or so of adjustment.
How is he acting otherwise-hiding, swimming normally etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #6 
SilverCaracal

Hope he starts eating again!!
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #7 
fastrack20

Well first we had him in a 1 gallon tank, and we had done one 100% water change as well as a couple smaller changes, about 10% as the water had been looking a little murky. We moved him to a 5 gallon tank today. The temperature is generally around 80, though it gets a bit cooler at night, but never below 76 (we have a heater). The new 5 gallon tank has an internal whisper filter by Tetra.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to address behaviour. In the one gallon he spent a lot of time below the heater, hiding. But we turned off the air pump and added a little silk plant and then he spent more time swimming around and floating at the top. Now in his new tank he is swimming around quite a bit (partially because the filter makes it difficult not to).
Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

It may be a new adjustment time with the new 5g, kinda like starting all over in a way..... can you move the filter off to one side so that he will have a dead space with little water movement? also if you raise the water level to at or above the over flow it can help calm the water sometimes...

As far as eating-fresh garlic juice can help stimulate appetite, live foods, do you have access to any mosquito larva, if so, drop one in and see how he reacts and if he eats one give him a couple of more, but no more than 4-5 at a time-3-4 times a day or if you have some frozen shrimp-take a tiny amount and smash it with the side of a knife and offer him a tiny piece, red worms are also a good food to try picky eaters
Make sure and remove any food uneaten

On the new 5g-I am sure you did this-but did you remember to use dechlorinator if in city water supply that is and the water was within a couple of degrees of the 1g tank water when you moved him...just tossing out ideas....
And the 5g was that all new water and set-up the same day you put him in?
Being a new fish and still hiding and not eating is not uncommon, however, when it goes on for more than 3-4 days and the environment is fine-I start to look at other reason and the one thing I always do regardless...water only changes just to rule out that as a reason, I usually will use a cup and dip the water so not to disturb the fish too much.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #9 
fastrack20

Yes, yes, we certainly have a water conditioner that we have been using since we got him. We did set up the 5 g tank today but we let it sit for some time to let the heater heat it up, and the filter do its work. The water should have been fairly similar to what he was in in the 1 g. It's just weird that he wasn't eating in the 1 g either, as we tried not to disturb him *too* much.

Unfortunately we don't have any of those foods, maybe we will be able to get something tomorrow (stores are all closed by now).

As far as the filter goes, we did add some more water a while ago to lessen the current and that helped a bit, he seemed more comfortable. The filter is off to one side, so it's not too strong at the other end.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are doing everything right......some Bettas can be more of a challenge than others.....they do like to keep us on our toes...laffs.....

One good thing...Betta can go awhile without eating...... but it sure can be frustrating for us in the mean time.....He should be following you and wagging his tail begging for food...
Another thought, have you checked him for Velvet? it is easier to see in a dark room with a flashlight. If you have never seen velvet I would google it and look at some pic first....