Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #1 
MangoTart

Talking Upgrading/Transporting Tanks

Soo, I am currently at home for the summer, but will be heading back to university in September. In the meantime, I was hoping to upgrade my glass 10 gallon planted tank (housing 4 female bettas, 3 corydoras, and some shrimp) to a 29 or 36 gallon acrylic seaclear tank (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753102).
I want to upgrade during the summer (i.e. right now) mostly because it is more convenient to get everything set up while at home than at school (where places are less accessible).
If I do decide to do that, I am particularly worried about transporting the tank/fish/etc. back to school since it will be a 6 hour drive. : [ I have read a lot about aquarium keeping and such, but am still fairly inexperienced. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experiences they would like to share. Thanks! ^^

Oh, also I guess I might as well ask: I was thinking of switching over to a sand substrate for my corydoras; It won't me that much more difficult to maintain will it? (Or if I use a mixture of gravel + sand). Again, any suggestions or experiences to share would be appreciated! :P

Last edited by MangoTart; 07-12-2010 at 08:08 AM.
MangoTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #2 
Gerardo756

I would upgrade to the bigger tank and when you transport the fish make sure you keep an eye on the temp and keep the fish and shrimp in the water from the tank to ease the stress a bit, also if you keep them covered they will be less stressed from the moving. take your time and plan the move in advance to help avoid complications etc.

I you do decide to change to sand the corys wil love you for as they like to root around in it looking for food, the problem with sand is bubbles of gas can bulid and are toxic to the fish to prevent this you must help oxygenate the sand with stem plants, trumpet snals or use a thin layer of sand. Sand when stirred up wil cloud your tank and wil block the impeller of the filter so when cleaning turn off all the equipment to prevent this. And once you get use to the sand it will be easy to clean and maintain it and the gravel with sand will look more natural provided you use natural colored gravel.

Good Luck
Gerardo756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #3 
MangoTart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo756 View Post
I would upgrade to the bigger tank and when you transport the fish make sure you keep an eye on the temp and keep the fish and shrimp in the water from the tank to ease the stress a bit, also if you keep them covered they will be less stressed from the moving. take your time and plan the move in advance to help avoid complications etc.

I you do decide to change to sand the corys wil love you for as they like to root around in it looking for food, the problem with sand is bubbles of gas can bulid and are toxic to the fish to prevent this you must help oxygenate the sand with stem plants, trumpet snals or use a thin layer of sand. Sand when stirred up wil cloud your tank and wil block the impeller of the filter so when cleaning turn off all the equipment to prevent this. And once you get use to the sand it will be easy to clean and maintain it and the gravel with sand will look more natural provided you use natural colored gravel.

Good Luck
Thanks for the help/advice!! ^_^ I think I will stay away from sand for the time being. I'll upgrade a few months after I get the large tank set up I guess. @_@
MangoTart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, tank, transporting, upgrading